Help - Any idea how to fix a Windows lappie??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j26, Jul 3, 2006.

1. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I've been handed a pc laptop to have a look at coz I "know stuff about computers"

When I start it up, it tells me Windows didn't start successfully and gives me the option to start in safe mode or normally, but when I pick either it gives me a message that the configuration file is corrupt absent or not writable.

When I pop in the Recovery CD (It's a Packard Bell) it asks for a 12 digit system serial number (which I don't have, needless to say). there's a very worn barcode on the back, but I can't read the numbers.

Does anyone have any idea how to help me? It's my nieces laptop and I presume all her college notes are on it.

(This is the sort of reason I changed to macs a year and a half ago)

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I think you can repair the disk from the bios, or at least reformat so that you can save the files from another computer...

3. CNU182 macrumors regular

ERD Commander is a pretty good program to use. I use it all the time to recover files and such before a format.

4. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

Cheeers, but I can't find anything to repair the drive. I had a look in fdisk, but couldn't see anything there either.

I'm going to try a Live CD of Ubuntu to see if I can get into the files. If I can they will be fine, if not, then I might just reformat and try reinstalling afresh

The ERD Commander is not cheap, so I'll only use that if my sister's husband buys it.

Edit: Okay the Live CD won't work. I just have some garbage on screen. Anyone got any ideas?

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Take the hard drive out of the laptop and try it in an external enclosure, see if another machine can mount the drive.