Help, any other ways to reduce the cost of a G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reajesse, Jul 8, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

hello all,
    I am an creative advertising student soon to buying my first mac. I'm planning on getting a 1.8 G5. I was wondering if there were any other ways besides buying my additional 512 RAM from an outside source, and is that even a good idea? Will outside RAM cause possible problems with the system operating at maximum efficiency? I am planning on getting the combo drive instead of the superdrive to also help. Are there any other ways I can reduce the overall cost by buying third party or other options for the G5 that are really not necessary for someone not in a business type setting yet?

thanks for any help, i really appreciate it

also, is installing third party RAM easy? i've never done any of my own installation of hardware, i know my way around the OS and software and that's about it

jesse

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

About all you can delete is the SuperDrive.

Not getting an LCD display and using any monitor you currently have will defer front end cost.

Buying with a student discount would also help.

3. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If your a student, you may be able to get an education discount. Outside RAM should work fine if it's the right type(PC3200). Also, RAM is easy to install on a PM G4, so I would imagine it would be easy to install on a G5. You could also use the payment plan and pay $50 or so per month for a few years.

4. macrumors regular

Drop the modem and you can save $30. It's probably more like $25 on the Education store, I imagine.

5. macrumors regular

No, outside RAM will not mess things up. It is the same thing that is in the machine to begin with, only you buy it from another source and save $$$.

6. macrumors regular

if you buy it from an online reseller (NOT the Apple Store), you'll save on tax.

7. macrumors 65816

Foxer

Yes, but you may lose the student discount if you do.

8. macrumors 68000

Lyle

Re: Help, any other ways to reduce the cost of a G5?

I would echo what others have said about making sure you get whatever kinds of student discounts are available to you.

One program that is of special interest to me (since my University doesn't seem to have any special arrangements with Apple) is the Apple Developer Connection's Student Developer program. When you join this program (for $99/year) you get a one-time hardware discount of around 20 percent. To put this in perspective, the list price for the "standard" 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 is $2,399.00 at the Apple Store, but with this hardware discount it's only $1,919.00 -- a net savings of about $380.00.

9. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think you can only save by buying a cheaper moniter or usinfg an old one, and dropping the modem. sorry.

10. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think you have the right idea on how to save money, but make sure you use your educational discount. What you're planning to do is all you can really do. Can you go to a smaller HD, and possibly buy another HD later to install yourself? If you don't need the space immediately, you may save money that way.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

thank you everyone that has provided information, it has been most helpful

if I join ADC for the $99, is there anything else I will have to pay besides that? are there any hidden fees or actions required on my part? thanks

jesse

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

question about ADC membership

I was looking through the information about ADC student discount on hardware. It sent me to this link for the store. It lets me select my order up to the point of giving credit card information. It doesn't ask for any verification of my membership with ADC. Will the order not go through because i'm not a member? It looks like it would. Has someone else seen this. Am I crazy or is it possible that I could get the discount without actually being a member? The reason I ask, I was going to get a discount where I work for the summer (an advertising agency) and all you have to do to access that discount is go through their site to the apple store link. So anyone that could get to the link could purchase at the reduced price. Any clearing up of this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

jesse

13. macrumors 6502

I was wondering if i buyed 512mb ram from an outside source, should i buy 2x 256mb modules? Can someone confirm that the g5 uses somekinf of dual-channel memory technology?

14. macrumors 6502a

Buy memory manufactured by a reputable company instead of the generic stuff. The big names have a lifetime warranty and manufacture the memory to the same specifications the OEM uses and guarantee compatibility. If you use the cheap stuff on sale at the local computer store, it may or may not work. Sometimes other problems surface as well. Don't skimp too much on the memory.

15. macrumors 68000

Lyle

Re: thank you

Not to my knowledge, although I haven't actually taken advantage of my discount yet. (That is, I have paid the $99.00 to sign up for the ADC Student Program, but haven't bought a computer yet). If you have doubts, give them a call; when I called them (for a different reason) they didn't leave me on hold too long and were very helpful.

16. macrumors 68000

Lyle

Re: question about ADC membership

According to this page, "You should confirm that you have verified your student status and have an active ADC Student Membership asset on your Manage Assets page before placing an order; any orders received for unverified students will be cancelled."

17. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is dual-channel, but it uses a pair (as in two) of 64-bit memory modules.

---

As far as what the memory is...

18. macrumors 6502

Wow... great prices

Man, that ADC one-time hardware discount is sweet!

You can get a Dual 2.0 ghz. G5 for only $2,216.00!!!

You have to remove the Superdrive and the modem for that, but still, that is one sweet deal. I wish I was still in school.