[help] Apple Cinema displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kurt Cobain, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

I'm a 3D animator/digital painter and I got aside my dead old G3 mac side kick a 3ghz + a 24" crt cinematic display. That sony monitor reaches incredibley high resolutions and blazing fast refresh rates.

Apple monitors may be sharp and amazingly clear with great reviews and insane feedbacks, however despite the visual facts, I heard it isnt built for high FPS, and I havent had the chance to actually run rapid 3D rendering/ high rez motion.

If this is true, then can somebody verify the speed and if its worth spending my money for. I figured if it has rapid pixel fliping then nothing should stop me from getting at least one of those 20".

Whats the usage of the USB ports that come along with it?

I'd appreciate any help on that matter cause I may return my 24" Sony triniton back to god, and potentially use the money for dual cinematics.

THANK YOU.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that I may be reading your question wrong, but since LCDs don't have refresh rates, you can't really compare them to CRTs in that manner. I do know that on my new 15 inch PowerBook, occasionally when dealing with a lot of video motion, the image can become 'broken'. I don't know if this is an Apple LCD, video card, or LCD in general issue, but it's not that big of a deal, and only happens very rarely (makes me think it's the video card getting too hot or something).

Using the ADC system, one cable carries power, image, and USB connections. That way you could have a tower underneath the desk but have some USB ports readily available for quick plug-and-play action.

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I heard that games are no good on LCD displays because the display is not really good enough to show every frame quick enough. I think this is the 'pixel response rate', which is different to the 'refresh rate' on CRTs.

LCDs don't refresh as such as each pixel is always on (hence you can film them fine without seeing the moving lines effect) but their response (hence how quickly the image changes/updates) is not as good as CRTs. You may be better off sticking with your CRT.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, I haven't had any problems with gaming and the LCD, things work just fine there.

That's what's so odd about the problem I'm experiencing, I can quickly drag a DVD Player window, or any other window around the screen regardless of size. I can Expose with many or few windows, all without problems.

I notice the most breaks when I'm playing video in either FCP or QuickTime. It's like the frame itself gets out of sync. Generally I only notice it when the camera is panning, and it looks like half of the frame (split horizontally) is a few frames behind or something.

5. Kurt Cobain thread starter macrumors member

I c.

thanks for the tip you guys.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I sometimes get that when I create a QuickTime clip (full PAL size) of a Final Cut Express movie. I don't think it's anything to do with the LCD. In fact, it may be that the quality of the LCD is exposing what you normally wouldn't see on a fuzzy TV screen?