Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gohawks!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Los Angeles
Hi I need help because my 38mm SG Sport Watch's microphone is not working. I got it wet and now it doesn't work, but luckily I have Apple Care. Does anyone know if that is covered by Apple Care or will I have to pay $75 for a new one. Or any solutions how to fix it. Thanks.​

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Hi I need help because my 38mm SG Sport Watch's microphone is not working. I got it wet and now it doesn't work, but luckily I have Apple Care. Does anyone know if that is covered by Apple Care or will I have to pay $75 for a new one. Or any solutions how to fix it. Thanks.​
Slightly related, I noticed my speaker was a lot quieter after getting wet.
Leaving it to dry out over night on the charger seemed to work and it was back to full volume in the morning.
My guess is slight moisture is trapped in the rubber seal that 'muffles' (?) the sound.
Leave it to dry out overnight and see if the problem is still there in the morning.
Good luck!

Reactions: Gohawks!!!

FellaMeLad

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2015
Does anyone know if that is covered by Apple Care or will I have to pay $75 for a new one.​

You shouldn't have to pay, even if it got wet as Apple Watch is supposed to be water resistant (not waterproof, but they do say it's resistant).

So, as Recognition says, leave it overnight and see what happens. If it's still the same in 24 hours, then contact Apple and see if they'll replace it. This shouldn't come out of your Apple Care entitlement.

Fella.

Reactions: Gohawks!!!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Have you restarted your :apple:Watch? The speaker or mic can become unresponsive until a restart is done.

The mic and speaker are armatures and would take a lot of water pressure and/or long time exposure to damage them.

dhoerl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
My mic went dead on 1st gen watch. Tried all the software tricks, even went to Apple Store. $199 to fix (i.e. get replacement). In desperation, I said nothing to lose, used a pin to swill around in the hole with pin pointing up (so dirt would fall out). A tiny bit of dirt came out. Then WOW - now the mic worked on phone calls, Siri started working again. Just a data point. My guess is the microphone was "stuck" not "plugged" but obviously will never know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.