help asap!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleGuy08, Jun 9, 2006.

1. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Ok, so i am trying to get Microsoft Office 2004 from my Mac to ipod, but it wont copy the folder because of copyright stuff (i think) i cant find the disk and when i burn it to a CD and launch it, it says it cant read sections of the CD, then quits. Does anyone know of a program that will just let me put w/e on the ipod w/o i doing that copyright stop. thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you trying to use one license on more than one computer?

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you saying you can't find your iPod HDD on your computer? Do you have it enabled to be used as a Hard Disk?

To set your iPod to be an external hard disk.
    1. Connect your iPod to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. Select iPod in the iTunes source list.
    3. Click the iPod options button in the lower-right corner of the iTunes window.
    4. Click the “Enable disk use” checkbox, and then click OK.
    5. Close iTunes and notice that your iPod appears on your Mac desktop or in the Windows Explorer on your PC.
    6. To eject the iPod on a Mac, select the iPod on the desktop and drag it to the Trash.
    7. To eject the iPod on a PC, select the iPod in the Windows Explorer, right click on the iPod and then choose Eject from the pop-up menu that appears. Or at the bottom-right of the screen, click the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon.

4. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Oh no no, lol. I meant the disk for Microsoft Office 2004. I already have my iPod on disk mode. But when i try to drop the MS Office 04' folder from applications into the iPod, it wont copy.

5. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

I am trying to get the Ms office 04 folder onto my iPod so that i can re-install OSX. I cant find the original disk, so thats why i'd like it on my iPod.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

7. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

It's because the iPod is formatted as FAT32 and not OSX's file system which completely escapes me at the moment.

FAT32 can only hold so many Chars and folders deep which mac's file system can hold a lot more.

Open disk utility, create a blank disk image, copy the Office folder into that then copy the disk image to your ipod.

Job's a good'un.

9. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You might also have a problem with disc images if they are too big, FAT32 can only hold files of a certain size, although office will probably fit.

The other problem you might have is if office has put libraries elsewhere on your computer, you will need to have those again when you reinstall OSX.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4gb which should be more than enough for Office 2004. You don't need to copy any libraries or anything other than the Office2004 folder, it will install all the fonts etc when you launch it up on a clean computer.

11. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08