Help ATV Installing drive....

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by b01189, Mar 3, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys I'm in need of some help here. My buddy brought me an Apple Tv with out a hard drive currently installed. But he had bought a 160HD upgrade from Ebay. We have installed this new drive in the Apple Tv and now all it does is sit there and blink an amber light trying to start up. Is there something else we could be doing or that we are doing wrong....

Thanks for the help guys.

2. macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you don't have the Boot, EFI and Recovery partitions you're not going to get it running.

3. thread starter macrumors member

The drive that we have purchased has all the correct partions. OSBoot, free space, Media ect... No matter what we try cannot get an image on the screen or any audio. Only thing it does is sit with an amber flashing light.....

4. macrumors 604

Cave Man

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

5. thread starter macrumors member

Yes held down menu and -.. does absolutly nothing but sit there and blink. Could this be a firmware issue? If so how do I update it with out being able to load the OS?

6. macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you do have a genuine drive with Boot, EFI and Recovery partitions, then you probably need to pull the drive and use ATVCloner to image those partitions. You might then be able to use ATVCloner to reinitialize the drive and put the partitions back where they belong on the hard drive. The ATV is picky about where those partitions reside.

7. macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Definitely a firmware issue, i.e. you don't have any!!

Before you put the 160GB drive in you need to prepare it like what the other guys on here have said. Without the original drive, I don't think you're gonna have any luck

pac

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks... for the info guys. Is there any way to get the firmware such as from a working drive with the OS loaded?

9. macrumors 604

Cave Man

There is no "firmware" - it is all software. If you use ATVCloner you can pull the three partitions needed for rebuilding a drive. See above for those partitions.

10. macrumors 6502