HELP! .AVI-> Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueflame, Aug 4, 2005.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

How do I do this, i have avi fiules i want to burn in iDVD, but i cannot find a way to change from Aavi to qt.
    please Help. thanks all
    Andreas

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

Try DivX Doctor II if you haven't yet. I haven't used it in a while, but I think it will do what you need it to. You have to install the 3ivx codecs and perhaps export the "doctored" file as a qt .mov but at least it's a start.

3. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

ok, i did the thing that was posted

now, what happened is that it converted it to .mov, now as far as i can tell the only way for me to mnake that into an dvd is using idvde, which takes like 2 hours, is there anything faster i could use to convert it to a dvd file?
    Andreas,
    PS: thank you for the response thus far, it was very helpful

4. Diomedes macrumors 6502

1. Get QuickTime Pro. For $30, you can import and export to a wide variety of formats. Most digital cameras that also take movies usually record them in AVI format, and I use QuickTime Pro all the time to convert them into smaller format files.

2. Use iMovie, then export your movie to a QuickTime format. I use iMovie to string together several AVI files, then I can export it (using the File->Share command) into another movie format. According to David Pogue's EXCELLENT iMovie & iDVD: The Missing Manual book, you shouldn't need QuickTime Pro.

I would strongly recommend you get Pro. For not a lot of cash, you get a really great sound and video tool. I upgraded not long after I got my Mac in 2003, and it's been one of the most useful tools.

5. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hmm

Im still trying to find a way to convert .mov to a dd format. idvd takes like3 hours. its terrible
    andreas

6. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Hi, I bought Quicktime for this exact reason but I have no idea how to import and convert the file. Can you please explain further? I have some AVI's that I want to convert and WMVs.

7. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hello

and yet another question on this topic, how do i join 2 .mov's into on movie?
    see, im realy not getting a good awnser. i have avi's thjat i want to turn into a dvd
    there we go. Help,. how do i do it
    andreas

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Processor Determines speed

Your processor speed and I guess to some extent, your RAM will determines how long it takes in iDVD.

I don't know how long Toast or DVD$tudio would take.

Anyone?

As for joining the 2 .mov files together, Quicktime Pro (again). Open one file > Select all > Copy > Open second file > put the play head at the end of the movie > Paste > Save As new file name.

I think that worked last time I tried it.

9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Encoding it into iDVD takes time, that's just the way it is! A top end Powermac will do it much faster, as will a 3GHZ+ Pentium using the relevant PC program.

More processor speed = faster encoding time. Annoying but true!

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

MPEG2 encoding was, until H.264, the most processor intensive thing the average user could do with video (except for uncompressed HD stuff, but who needs that yet)

U have AVIs and want to turn into a DVD, I wont ask what the files are but I can guess ;P

Using Divx Doctor II, make the avis into quicktime movies. Should take a few minutes depending on file length.

Then, unless you have Final Cut Studio with Compressor, you will have to use iDVD to encode the .mov to .m2v.

There is no other way to do it. You would need Compressor and/or the MPEG2 codec, which is not free.

MPEG2 encoding for a G4 takes sometimes 4-8x the length of the file to do. And on a G5 2-6x or so. It is a slow process, so dont expect instant results. I know you have video files on your mac you want to watch on a big TV on the couch, but its not that simple.

Example:

my dual 1.8Ghz G5 with 2.5GB of RAM can take 60min .avi files that are PAL and 16x9 and turn them into MPEG2s in about 4hours.

11. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Very well put

On my old G4 400 Tower it can take 8-12 hours to burn a simple 1 hour DVD.

Same stuff on my eMac 1.25 burns in about 1.5-2 hours. (I know it needs more RAM, but hey, it was FREE. As a matter of fact, they both were FREE.)

12. BIS2 macrumors regular

related question.....

I'm considering a new digital camera that records movies in MPEG4 (avi files). I tested it out and they would not play in quicktime (on either an ibook with 10.3.8, or a powerbook with Tiger). I downloaded what I perceived to be the correct thing from DiVX and now they will play, but are jerky and with snippets of sound and then loud screeching noises. What do I need to do to make them work properly? I really like the camera but won't keep it if I can't do video clips.

Thanks!

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There are tons of tools out there to convert the AVI file, which IS NOT NATIVELY SUPPORTED BY QUICKTIME OR OS X. You can use WMV PRO which allows quicktime/imovie/idvd to use AVI files. WMV PLAYER, DropDV for conversion, EXPORTtoQT of rthe same, and a ton of other tools to convert it.

It's called Google. Use it. Read it. Love it.

14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

OK, let me take a stab at this because the answers above, while correct, are a little vague.

First, convert your AVIs to .mov (QuickTime). You can do this many ways: 1) use QT Pro, open the file with QT and go to export -- select the "QuickTime" option; or use a program like ffmegX or MPEG Streamclip to do the same -- these are free programs. By the way, if your AVI will not play using the QuickTime player, or you do not hear audio, then use one of the other methods.

Put your converted file in the "movies" folder. Go to iDVD and create your DVD. Drag your movie into the menu you are creating and finish creating your menu. Then, either burn your DVD or create an "image disk" of your finished product. Creating an image file is the way I like to go because you can then preview your DVD before burning.

If you want to combine two AVIs into one movie . . . convert both files to .mov. Import them into iMovieHD and combine them on the timeline. Then "share" your movie, selecting the proper output settings (I generally use "Full Quality" or "Expert Settings" in order to preserve quality.

But . . . encoding a DVD takes LOTS of time. Want to do it quick? Forget it. Maybe five years from now you will be able to encode video quickly, but not now. Learn to be patient. Also, you must have a good amount of hard drive space -- but an external drive if you are stuck with a small HD.

15. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

You asked.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ernsta/DIVX2DVD.htm

(.avi = DivX)

In my opinion, it is too time-consuming to convert an .avi to VIDEO_TS for DVD. An alternate solution would be to burn the .avi to a CDr in the ISO 9660 format. Then play the DivX disc in a DivX player like this one.

16. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Use DivX Doctor

When you convert a .avi to a .mov, it will play in Quicktime without any problems (jerkiness).

17. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Another solution is to buy the cable that can come from your computer to a scart lead which plugs straight into your TV. I've seen one for about £15.

18. Diomedes macrumors 6502

To export AVI to QuickTime, just open the AVI file in QT Pro, then File-Export. At the bottom of the dialog box, you will see a drop-down list of formats.

However, WMV (Windows Movie Format) is not a supported format. (Why would you want to export a QT movie to that format? It is better to stick with a standard format, like MP4. These days, it's rare to find a Windows machine that can't play MOV files.)

19. Diomedes macrumors 6502

20. Diomedes macrumors 6502

The statement AVi is not supported by Quicktime is inaccurate. Not only do I play AVI movies all the time with QT, but the Finder will show you previews of AVI movies.

QT Pro will export AVI files to most other formats, if necessary. PERIOD.

iMovie HD will also accept AVI movies, which can then be exported. Simple solutions.

21. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hmm

ok, so ive got myself to now convert the avi to .mov using dvx doctor, but the only way i can make a dvd is idvd? god, it really takes like 4 hours. there is nothing else to use to make a .mov into a dvd, i dont need menus and crap that idvd has
    andreas

22. forthebrave macrumors regular

try " Save As Disc Image " than use Toast to burn it~ should be a little faster

23. mkaake macrumors 65816

the menus and crap aren't the time killer (so long as you keep it simple - if you're talking about one clip, they won't be the long part of encoding at all). it's been said about 6 times in this thread - encoding to mpeg2 takes *time* - lots of time, and there's no way around that.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

All the tools and options I can think of have been mentioned here already, so let me just emphasize the following, as others have:

Patience is a virtue. :cool:

I usually do my encoding overnight, and when I wake up in the morning, everything's taken care of - piece of cake!

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That's what I do. I've noticed iDVD in iLife '05 is quicker.