help - backup entire hard drive to DVD??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shecky, Sep 15, 2003.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

help would be greatly appreciated. I have a new TiBook with a bunch of pre-installed software that I want to make a backup of while its all nice and new and working perfectly.

i have a Superdrive and Toast Titanium 5.1.3 - my HD as of now takes up around 7.5GB with all the software installed that I want to backup. Can i compress it in some way and get it all onto a single DVD-R??

a secondary question to this is once i have this backup, in whatever format (woudl it be a disk image?), i would like to know if i can partition my 60GB hard drive using Jaguar's built in disk utility and then essentially "reinstall" this backup onto a partition of my choosing???

thankx much in advance!!!!

2. Bear macrumors G3

Re: help - backup entire hard drive to DVD??

Didn't it come with a Software Restore DVD? Booting off of that DVD will bring you system back to a factory fresh state.

Some systems may come with a set of CDs instead of a DVD.

3. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

this is software over and above what comes on the install CD. my academic licence for software does not include installer disks for 3rd party software. hence, my question.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

you could just back up those pieces of software... Alot of OS X apps are self-contained these days.

5. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

i can? dont i need the installer file or whatever? can i just write down my serial number and burn the program folder to a CD or DVD and then drag it back to the hard drive to reinstall it?

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

That's how you manage the default installation of Office X if I recall correctly: just drag a folder straight from the CD provided by M$.

I've tried it with other programs and never had any problems...

7. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

i always thought office was the exception not the rule?

anyone done this for Adobe and Macromedia apps?

8. tiny macrumors newbie

Alot of software generates preference files- in OS X and OS 9. There lots of other places OS X applications like to store stuff. What I'd do to backup a system that size would be to put system files on one disk, applications on another. Youcan never back up too much, only not enough. Otherwise- I've heard there are double sided DVDs available that hold 9.4 gigs... You'd still have to flip it, but it would hold everything...
    Make sure you clone your system stuff so that all those invisible files are transferred and the hierarchy is correct...

9. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

yeah...i think that copying individual applications is basically impossible - so with that in mind im OK to have a disk image of my entire hard drive burned to a DVD. can someone just verify for me that i can:

1. compress my hard drive of roughly 7 GB of data using the Disk Copy utility into a disk image small enough to fit onto a DVD-R? or if not is there a way using Toast to span multiple DVD-R's? with one image?

2. reformat and repartition my hard drive and then somehow put the disk image back onto the partition i want? i assume i would need to do a normal restore to the partition with the restore DVD that comes with the powerbook, then mount the disk image i burned to reinstall it?