Help! Berlin or Hamburg?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bananajoe, Mar 25, 2005.

1. bananajoe macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a single guy from New York City moving to Germany to enjoy life for a few years.

I cannot decide between Berlin and Hamburg, and because of my budget, I can't afford to try out each place. I have to pick without having visited either one.

A few people told me that Hamburg has LOTS of beautiful girls, a very attractive city, and a really exciting nightlife. In other words, a perfect place except for the bad rainy weather. They also said that Berlin is big, dirty, filled with ghettos, and not recommended.

But other people said Berlin is the most fun city in all of Europe, and it does have a lot of beautiful women as well (just significantly worse than Hamburg). They also said the people are more open and into partying, with a lot of "leftist" / "liberal" young people...so it's much easier to have fun and hang out.

What do you guys think? I know these things depend, so I am just looking at it from the perspective of a single guy (you know, we like pretty friendly girls, good parties, lots of cafes & affordable restaurants, etc).

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

BERLIN

BERLIN

I'm from Berlin, if you want some advice, just get in contact via PM. Yes, we have some "ghetto"-like districs, but Hamburg has them as well.

There are two main differences:

-public transportation is perfect in Berlin

-our mayor says he is gay, the mayor of Hamburg is also gay but won't tell, but
    everybody knows it

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BERLIN!

Oh definitely! I was there last February for the Berlin International Film Festival. It's a great city and the people are cool.

I got lost one night in Mitte and just walked around until I found a subway that looked familiar. A great city to lose yourself in-loved every minute I was there. I'd love to live there someday. :) Plus the architecture-beautiful!

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Berlin.

Just from the historical perspective alone...

6. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

- so, your on a budget-travel for a "few years" he he... I guess it's true - everything is bigger in the states ;)

I've never been to Hamburg, but just heard from a German friend that some people prefer it to berlin...

However I would definately say BERLIN - It's more than twice the size of hamburg and a true metropolis (if not the one true metropolis of north and central europe), full of cultural events of all kinds, a very lively night life and lots of museum and historical landmarks to see. Also including the probably most vibrant art scene in Europe.
    Cafés and restaurants (from all over the world) are good and cheap (compared to both Denmark an NY)... Kastanien Allée would be an obvious example, but there are many different areas in Berlin with each their center and atmosphere...
    One thing that distinguishes it from other cities like that is the fact it's dirt cheap to rent a flat. It's ridiculous. Since the wall came down people have been moving out into new suburbs and rural areas around the city itself, leaving lots and lots of empty apartments behind.

Concerning the beautifull girls, consider yourself lucky - Berlin is full of sweet Danish girls :D

A

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's a tough one. Berlin being the capital, has tons of cool cultural things to experience. It is a little gritty in areas but nothing like you would see in NY. Of course Berlin is the Currywurst capital of Germany, and has tons of cools eateries, cafes, coffee houses etc. It's also close to Potsdam and Dresden.

Hamburg is really my fave though, very multicultural because it's Germany's biggest port. Lots of cool stuff to do, although since much of Hamburg was destroyed during the war, it's not as aesthetically pleasing as is Berlin. Hamburg is also the center of German publishing. It does rain a lot there and is pretty gray a lot of the time but it isn't a victim of those vicious winds off the Russian steppes like Berlin is.

My advice would be to spend a couple of weeks at least, in each city and see how you like it.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

one of my friend lives in hamburg and dosent like it much i'd go with berlin

9. fwhh macrumors regular

Berlin and Hamburg are quite different cities. Hamburg is much richer than Berlin, and so is the city: elegant and wealthy. Berlin is more "urban" and more hectic. Both cities have an excellent nightlife. If you prefer a city, which is a real world-city, go to Berlin. If you have seen everything in Berlin, take the Express-Train ("ICE") to Hamburg, its just 90 minutes. Also keep in mind, that Hamburg is a quite expensive city when it comes to living. I have lived for 3 years in Hamburg and I can say that life is really nice there.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

President Kennedy preferred Berlin.

After all, it would've sounded funny if he'd said, "Ich bin ein Hamburger."

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Didn't it come out funny anyway? With a double meaning?
    Something like 'I am a doughnut'? :)

12. blue_monkey macrumors member

since i am from germany and been to both cities i would say berlin. just because hamburg really doesn't look that nice and berlin just "feels" friendlier than hamburg. i think the nightlife should be very good in both of them..i don't know why but i just prefer berlin. but another though: why not go to Munic (münchen). Munic is a very very very nice city. i like it so much better than hamburg or berlin. just my two cents..munic has an excellent night life, a nice park, nice architecture (right spelling?!) and an excellent culture-experience with a lot of actors and music and stuff! and it's not too expensive either..
    anyways, the original qoute was " ich bin ein berliner " which either means i'm a berliner or i'm a jelly doughnut. "ich bin ein hamburger" can either mean "i'm a Hamburger" (a guy who lives in hamburg) or i'm a hamburger (like a BigMac or something)....

13. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Berlin

I have been only to Frankfurt and Koln (Cologne), but I would think that is like saying " I am coming to France and can only go to Paris or Lyon" or "I am coming to England and can only go to London or Bristol"

Pick the bigger city and travel to the others when you get a chance.

Just guessing, but have fun either way!

14. bananajoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to go with Berlin from the votes cast so far. I can't wait!

The cool thing is that it's close to countries like Poland and the Czech Republic. Even though I really love those Dutch and Danish blondes and would have liked to be closer to cities like Copenhagen and Groningen :(

I hope Berlin has some cuties as well!

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I will cast another vote for Berlin as well....Hamburg is great to visit though, especially in the summer...remember when you get there that these cities are a lot closer together than you may realize - a few hours on the train and you're there (or use easyjet.com for cheap flights)....since you are going over you cannot miss out on a few side trips to the other great cities...save a few pennies here and there and have yourself a great time....oh yeah!

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to also add to the fact that Berlin IS cheap. I thought with the exchange rate I'd be out a lot of cash, but beers at bars cost about 2 euros everywhere-not even 3 dollars American I believe. :) And the people are physically and intellectually beautiful, even the older people. You'll find that they are in better shape than here in the US.

17. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

That's an easy one

Go for Berlin. It's very much the NYC of Germany. Hamburg may be more esthetically appealing (great theater), but Berlin is ALIVE. I've been living there, this city ROCKS. And, of course, it's firsthand history alive on how the cold war ended.

For the Currywurst capital thing, the currywurst has long been replaced by the kebap. Hamburg people are known for being a little stuck-up, while Berliners are very open, friendly, and, sometimes, big mouthed.

"Zoo station" is a big railway station downtown. Berlin bus drivers are famous for being unfriendly. A common Berlin public transport joke:

Passenger: I'd like to go to the zoo, please.
    Bus driver: Being which animal?

Original language:

Fahrgast: Ich möchte gerne zum Zoo.
    Busfahrer: So? Als watt denn?

And even the weather is better than Hamburg.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And of course, the possibility of the Love Parade.

Cancelled last year, but possibly back this summer.

Have always wanted to go (same with Burning Man & Glastonbury) but life has this unfortunate habit of getting in the way... :(

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Not quite, people from Berlin don't say Berliner to our doughnut like pastries we call them Pfannkuchen, only those people from "out there" :D call them Berliner. ;)

It seems like it won't happen again this year. Samsung just jumped off and so did the manager for the entire event... so sad, but it wasn't quite what it used to be back in the days anyway.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Poo. Another festival that I've missed. :(

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As for the original question...
    Go for Berlin, it is bigger, more diverse, there are more things to do, has better transportation, etc.
    If you really want to visit Hamburg you can take the train, it is only 90 minutes. From all the cities in Germany I would, could only live in Berlin.
    There are so many more reasons, I won't list them all, but Hamburg is nice for a week or so, after that it gets quite small IMHO.
    I have seen quite a few cities around the world and I must say I always enjoy coming back to Berlin.

22. Milan macrumors member

23. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

Berlin all the way

I have been to both cities, and preferred Berlin over Hamburg, and I believe you would too being "a single new yawker" . It's even got its similarities to what you know as home. An equivalent to the boroughs. And to be honest, it doesn't matter where you move in Germany (I much prefer the south myself, its far more scenic and the people are generally more welcoming. Nürnberg is great, as well as the surrounding areas.) because everything is within a day's travel, especially if you take ICE. They are really good with fares too. I paid for a weekend ticket for myself, which was about $90, that allowed me to ride as many trains as i wanted to to anywhere in the country for a 72 hour period AND bring along up to three of my compadrés. Maybe I will see you over there eventually, as it is my wish to live there too.

24. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Berlin

better electronic music scene

vSpacken

25. bananajoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

I decided on Berlin and got a lead on a nice flat.

Here's to a new life!

Oh, and I lived for 5 years in Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast!