HELP: Best Web Forum Prog/Script and Best Gallery Prog/Script

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BigJayhawk, Jun 30, 2003.

1. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

I have an idea for a Mac Centric Site that I've been thinking about for a while.

I'll need a GALLERY that can hold quicktime as well as images in an SQL database. I want to be able to allow users to rate the images/videos as well.

If this was actually able to do this WITHIN a FORUM that would be perfect! Otherwise, I will need a GALLERY and a FORUM.

I'm a web amateur and my host is iPowerWeb if these things make a difference on what I should use (i.e. simplicity and compatibility with iPowerWeb are important).

There's no better experts to ask than the folks here at MacRumors!

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

this all depends on if you want to pay for this stuff or not.

check out www.phpbb.com for some free forums. you will need to mod it yourself with the mod tutorials for an image gallery. though i haven't seen any video mods.

by the way, i have a bit of experience with modding phpbb and would be willing to help you out if you needed anything. PM me or catch me on aim (sn: mnkeybsness)

3. BigJayhawk thread starter macrumors regular

A bit of money is fine within reason. I think the idea that I have will be a relatively popular one (but I'm not here to advertise it just to ask for assistance). I may even be looking to have someone help me with a few things as you recommend. Right now I'm just kind of looking to start out with some direction and then make some more decisions in the coming weeks.

I'll check out the link you mentioned and put them on my list.

THANKS! Keep the resommendations coming!

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the two most popular are phpbb and (macrumors is run on vb)vbulletin note prcies here.

forums are a lot of work and i don't recommend jumping into workin on them if you have no idea how to set them up.

5. BigJayhawk thread starter macrumors regular

I like vBulletin but . . .

I like vBulletin but can it do the following two things (or be modified to do so)?

1) Play a Quicktime Movie in the Forum (posted by an Admin)
    or
    Post an image in the Forum that when clicked will open the quicktime movie in another window (if unable to put it RIGHT IN the forum).

2) Rate a post (from 1 to 10, for example) as a survey of sorts.

6. BigJayhawk thread starter macrumors regular

phpbb seems to be a workable solution

I've tried out phpbb (which I've been using anyway for something else. I knew I could not post quicktime movies in it so I had kind of written it off early.

HOWEVER, I think just posting a single frame of the movie as an image that links to the actual movie in another window will work (and it will give me more flexibility on mirroring some movies to avoid a bandwidth overage as well).

phpbb also has several good options such as the POLL feature (to rate the movie files) and the price is good (free from my host provider.)

THANKS for pushing me back in that direction so I would give it a second look!

7. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

One thing you need to keep in mind is that running quicktime video id going to take hell out of your bandwidth. Ocne you go over, most web providers charge exorbinant fees. Consider that a 3mb quicktime movie viewed a hundred times is 300mbs. if you get a few hundred vsitors a day, your bandwidth is shot.

8. BigJayhawk thread starter macrumors regular

Yep that's a consideration . . .

Yes, that's why I think the posting of the image that links to the site will help IMMENSELY with things. I'll be able to link to several of the movies (and not host them on my bandwidth).

I'm not sure if this concept will entirely work BUT I'm determined in doing it as I've been wanting this myself for quite some time. (Obviously, this makes little sense now because I've not explained my concept yet.) Bear with me though, it's working out (around my full-time job, family, etc. (heh!)