Help Beta Test a new File Transfer App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by devans, Apr 26, 2006.

1. devans macrumors newbie

As a long-time lurker, I figured I'd come out into the open to see if any of my fellow Mac lovers would be interested in helping me with some beta testing of an app we've been working on, www.civilnetizen.com.

Basically, we've trying to make an easy way for Mac (and win) users to privately share their files without the hassle of server configurations. I'd love some feedback from y'all as we try and get this thing working.

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i would be willing to do it. i will be leaving for class her soon but i will be back on tonight.

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Hopefully I can find someone to test with ... :-D

Seems to work decently. Tested it between a Windows and OS X computer, with trailers of God of War 2.

Feature requests (if you are taking any):

Would there be any way to make it so that you wouldn't have to keep the app open (use a background process, daemon, etc.)? It's not really a big deal to keep the app open but I think this would be useful. Alternatively, allow the app to disable quitting via a checkbox or something.

How about making a feature allowing the program to set a time to wake/boot up your computer so that your computer doesn't have to stay on 24/7 while waiting for somebody to get a file?

4. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I'm also wondering, is there a parcel size limit?

Or maybe it's just buggy on Windows. I parceled a CD image I had on OS X, worked like a charm.

6. devans thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for helping out...I really appreciate the feedback.

To answer some of your questions...there is no officially set parcel limit size, but I think a few gigs is reaching the max. In the end, it depends on the quality of your network connection, hard drive space etc. But hey, i'd love to test the upper limits of it...perhaps we can try a full dvd rip.

Pretty good point...I'll chat with my lead architect. We've talked about creating something like this, and I think it'll def help with the user experience.

Hmm...we have an alternative solution to this coming out in our next release, but it's a clever thought. Getting around the Mac sleep functionality has been challenging so we'll have to look into it. If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear em.

For those of you who offered to test with us, drop me an email at david.evans at civilengines.com and we can figure something out...
    thanks again!