HELP! Boots straight into XP - where has Mac OS gone?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tryo, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Tryo macrumors newbie

I got my iMac 24 inch this morning, and after a while admiring Mac Os, I decided to install XP via Boot Camp since there I programs I need in Windows. I partitioned the drive, and put in the XP disk and clicked Start Installation. And then everything went grey and hung.

I decided to leave it for 5 minutes in case something was happening behind blank screen but nothing changed so I restarted the computer. Since I had the XP disk in, it went straight into XP setup, and asked me where I would like to install windows - perhaps on the newly partioned drive - so I did.

However, now everytime I start the computer it goes straight into windows - where did my Mac go? I figure that Boot Camp crashed, and that perhaps I shouldn't have installed Windows when I did, but the fact that the drive had been partitioned by boot camp led me to believe this was how I was meant to do it.

How do I fix this. I must confess I'm not overly computer litterate and haven't the faintest clue where to start! HELP!

2. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Even though you partitioned the drive, did you choose the correct partition to install Windows onto? To be sure, check the size of your Windows C drive. if it's the size you thought was for OS X, that means you accidentally installed Windows over OS X and left the other partition empty.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Reboot and hold down the option key?

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

That should work, though my experience has shown me that the Mac always boots into Mac OS unless option is held down. Even if I restart Windows, the machine restarts OS X.

5. Tryo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I chose the correct partition. I'm going to try the option trick now (is that what I was supposed to do all along?)

By the way is the option key the apple key?

6. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

The option key is the key that says option on it. It also says alt. It is next to the command (Apple) key.

7. Tryo thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine just says alt. Thanks very much for your patience :)

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

RTFM (politely meant) :)

The option key is the option key.... it's sometimes the alt key. The "Apple" key is the Command key.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, The option key is to the left of the Apple Key, it says Alt and Option on it.

10. Tryo thread starter macrumors newbie

well thanks for the help - I'm now typing this in the beautiful Mac Os!

...and my option key does not say option on it! :)

11. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Glad to help. I'm not a real expert on partitioning the hard drive for multiple OS's, but one of the first things that I notcied when doing so was how easy it was to make a fatal mistake (meaning, installing Windows over Mac).

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If it's still booting into Windows by default-

IIRC, in System Preferences you can choose the startup disk, so that it either boots into OSX or Windows by default.

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

RTFM?? :confused:

Read the F***ing Manual ? All these shorthands are getting beyond me..