Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tracey8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Help I just brought a Macbook 2.2 ghz 2 days ago and They have now release the updated version. I feel completely ripped off. I paid full price for the macbook. They keep telling me they don't know till it arrives. I don't completely believe them. Anyone with suggestions to help me out here.

What could I possibly do to get a refund or swap for the new one

Kind Regards
completely ripped off and very sad

tracey:(

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Help I just brought a Macbook 2.2 ghz 2 days ago and They have now release the updated version. I feel completely ripped off. I paid full price for the macbook. They keep telling me they don't know till it arrives. I don't completely believe them. Anyone with suggestions to help me out here.

What could I possibly do to get a refund or swap for the new one

Kind Regards
completely ripped off and very sad

tracey:(

just refuse the package when it comes and order a new one

you will get ur money back!

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
I'm in the same boat. I purchased my MB this past Saturday. When I called the Apple Store (Roosevelt Field on Long Island), I was told I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee. Another person on these forums who works at an Apple store said that his manager just takes the machines back without charging restocking. I'm going to go and attempt to make the exchange either way. I feel $119 is a small price to pay for an extra 40 GB of hard drive space and faster, smaller, battery saving chip, not to mention an extra gig of RAM, even though I already purchased 4 GB of RAM and upgraded myself... I'm just in a foul mood because of the timing of this upgrade. I purposely picked up the MacBook because I thought it would be safe from future updates for a while. This is how I planned to make my switch from PCs. Now the machine is amazing, but it just hurts.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
soon as you get it look on the box for the specs. If they are new you're good to go. If they are the old specs take it back and trade it for a new one.

Check the label when you get it to see if they sent you a newer one instead.

People have report that u can swap it for free even if u open it.

By all means, DO NOT OPEN IT. You will be able to exchange it more easily if still new in sealed box...

gtimark

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
High Desert, CA
At least yours hasn't arrived! I, too, just bought my 2.2 GHz Macbook 3 days ago, but I bought it at an Apple Store and have already set it up. Grrrrr. I remember asking the clerk on Saturday, "do you know when the next up-grade is coming along?"

As someone has posted, $119 is not a bad up-grade price for the RAM alone.

Nevertheless, it annoys me to no end ...Boo :apple:!

tracey8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I very sadly brought it from a official reseller shop in Adelaide and have opened it I rung up this morning and ask for a new one they weren't very help full, I soon burst into tears and they said that they would see what they could do and get back to me. I paid 2100 for it including 1g extra memory the new ones are now 1799 in Australia..... and far better:( Still Crying:confused:HELP

will Keep you updated Thanks for your Replies:)

tracey8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
They called me and I can return it for 189$ less than I paid and then buy a new one I am pleased with that I am still better off returning it and getting a new one buy a grand total of $112 dollars and I get xtra 40 gig hard drive and faster ghz

Thanks all:) now no more tears

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I don't think they actually know when they get given updates.

They're as much in the dark as well are.

Yeah the only people who know about the updates are the head-hauncho's and the manufacturers. Other than that pretty much everyone else is left in the dark, including all customer support and retail staff.

mshedd081

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Mississippi
I bought the MBP and it arrived yesterday. Called apple this morning and they were more than happy (spoke w/ Christopher) to return my "opened" MBP and waiving the restocking fee. I was offered 350.00 to keep the same one I already had. I opted for that because I used the edu discount and that means I had about 550 off the price of the MBP total (350 back from apple and 200 off with edu discount). Honestly I could not beat that because I paid less than the refurb price.

tracey8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah the only people who know about the updates are the head-hauncho's and the manufacturers. Other than that pretty much everyone else is left in the dark, including all customer support and retail staff.

It sucks what about the little people that have save up for a comp I mean I don't have hoards of money lying round to upgrade 2100$$$ is a lot of money and if someone had said just wait 2 days till tuesdays I would have saved $300 bucks. Might be small change for the head Hauncho's but its alot for me.
:)

slybeans

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
England
I bought the MBP and it arrived yesterday. Called apple this morning and they were more than happy (spoke w/ Christopher) to return my "opened" MBP and waiving the restocking fee. I was offered 350.00 to keep the same one I already had. I opted for that because I used the edu discount and that means I had about 550 off the price of the MBP total (350 back from apple and 200 off with edu discount). Honestly I could not beat that because I paid less than the refurb price.

Wow how generous!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It sucks what about the little people that have save up for a comp I mean I don't have hoards of money lying round to upgrade 2100$$$ is a lot of money and if someone had said just wait 2 days till tuesdays I would have saved $300 bucks. Might be small change for the head Hauncho's but its alot for me.
:)

While I somewhat feel for you, it was YOUR decision to buy, you really have no just cause to say you got ripped off.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I bought my Macbook 12 days ago. I am still inside the return policy and the restocking fee would only be $99 for me. ( Education discount, and I bought the low-end in store ) I went back to the store today for a Genius Bar appointment I had for other reasons. In the end I decided the restock fee was not worth it for .1 GHz processor speeds, even if it is a Penryn. All the information I have seen about it tells me it's not a world of difference, and some information points toward lower battery life. If it received Multi-Touch Trackpad like the Pro, then maybe, but instead of 40GB more on my HDD and .1GHz speed for $99, I just ordered a 250GB HDD and 4GB of ram for a total of $224.93. The extra $125 warrants much more of an upgrade than the original $100 for 40 extra gigs and the miniscule processor bump. If you disagree, that's on you, this is my take on the matter and I don't feel cheated or upset, I'm still 100% satisfied with my purchase and don't regret anything.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
My brother ordered the mid model last friday from the Australian on-line Apple store and received it 2 days ago. I rang him this morning suggesting he try to return it. He rang Apple- they said yes to a refund and are picking it up in 2 days without any fee, despite it saying on the website a $20 courier fee would apply for returns.

I feel relieved because he has been asking me for weeks about updates. To all those who just bought, I feel for you and hope you manage to get yours upgraded.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
While I somewhat feel for you, it was YOUR decision to buy, you really have no just cause to say you got ripped off.

I agree. No one had conformation until this morning of new machines. Ripped-off is a harsh term. Just try to reason with them and stay firm.

tracey8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Hi update here! My laptop has made it back to the shop ....but now I have to wait 10 days to get my new one, Can't complain I have more to say how apple does it bussniess but "House"(TV Show):) is on soon will put some more input in tomorrow.

Thanks for all your Help .... much appreciated !!!:D

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
I bought mine with the higher education discount over the weekend, and swapped it in-store this morning. There was no mention of any re-stocking fee! Yay for Apple!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.