Help BUYING a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FF_productions, Apr 16, 2005.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm interested in buying a g4 iMac...I just want to know if anyone knows a website that sells g4's, and with a large amount of them, because i have searched for g4 imacs online, and some websites only have 2-3 of them available...i just want more options if I wanted to buy it..I'm not buying more than 1 computer, it's just the options i want..

Thanks

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

The G4 imac has been replaced by the G5 iMac. I am not sure why you would prefer the G4 version. If price is the concern, the G4-powered Mac mini should be comparable performance-wise to a G4 iMac, and can be used with almost any monitor you wish, including one you may already have.

there is also the G4 eMac, basically a G4 iMac with a built-in CRT instead of LCD, available at apple.com

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

i know i can get a brand new emac, but i just wonder if a g4 imac still exists...
    I guess you can say it is because of the price, but I'm just trying to see what the price range is now for a g4 imac..

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I remember reading a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. I understand why you want a iMac G4. The G4 processor is good for most things, and the appearance is much better than the G5, not to mention the price is much cheaper. Also, the iMac G4 is a much better lookng machine than the eMac. What do you mean that you can't find one with the specs you want. Like processor speed or easily upgradable things like RAM. If you post the specs you want it might be easier for someone ot help you.

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

You will not find the G4 iMac with build-to-order options anymore since it has been discontinued. If I were in the market for one, I would check the Apple Store under the Special Deals tile and wait for one to appear under the reconditioned products. This way you get it directly from Apple with a full 1-year warranty. You can also find one on eBay.

What you will find is that the G4 iMac is not much cheaper than the G5 iMac since it is highly sought after by many people for its design.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree with that. It's very true, since the G4 is much better looking than the G5. Your best bet is to get an early model, probably used, such as the 800 MHz or 1 GHz. It will run great with a gig plus of RAM. If your looking for the 20 inch, then your going to get ripped off. That's a very popular machine right now, even though it sold terribly when Apple was selling it.

7. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

macbaseball and topgunn,
    I cannot quarrel with you on aesthetics. I don't really care; I like them both; more importantly, I don't know if the original poster cares. But as a computer, for the video editing purposes the original poster stated in his other thread, the G5 iMac should outclass its G4 counterpart. Its specs are better in almost every category. If he can afford it, is simply a better computer that will be "good for most things" for longer, and better at other things. How it looks is another matter entirely, but the op never mentioned this as a concern. If he can't afford it, there are other G4-based options still in the current lineup.

As for a used G4 iMac vs. an eMac or a mini: if he finds the right deal, etc., a G4 imac is certainly in the running. But then his decision might come down to: nicer looks (subjective), possible savings, and possibly a better GPU vs. full warranty and some other benefits (more L2, faster SD), with roughly the same G4 performance.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Sorry I missed this part, and I agree with you. I have a Powerbook and I wish I had bought a G5 because the rendering and compressing is takes forever.

9. Devie macrumors 6502a

if you want a G4 iMac just get a Mini and a cheap 17" LCD. Sit the LCD on the Mini, you have yourself a newer, better iMac G4 :D

10. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Lol :D I'm sure that would be great for the Mini.

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah I agree that the g4 flower/lamp iMac was a much better looking machine than the current g5 iMac. Last year when I was looking at Macs my plan was to buy the 20" iMac but than they went and replaced it, honestly I wish they would have just dropped the G5 processor into the old design.

I ended up getting a G5 powermac instead of an iMac just because I can't stand the new design. I dunno what it is about them, they look sexy and cool in photos but whenever I stood in front of one in a store I can't think anything but "fugly"