Help buying digital camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Feb 8, 2004.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Any help would be great. Don't even know where to begin. Just want a good camera, preferably point and shoot with the best bang for the buck.

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: Help buying digital camera

I just spent the last 2 weeks looking into the 2-3 megapixel range with Apple Mac compatability in mind (iPhoto and possibly Adobe photoshop). Best simple to use, powerful, with good advanced features to my liking was the Canon Powershot A60 (2 meg) and A70 (3 meg).

I got the A70. So far is proving to be a delight to use. Has CF1 slot, for cheap memory (advise you to get 256meg if you can afford it).
    Takes great images with little distortion. I suggest always use very fine setting for minimal compresion - but that means 1.6 meg a pic.
    Has excellent little flash.
    Has rechargable AA battery option or just usual batteries, which is great when you out because you can always have fresh power available easily.
    Has nice optical zoom - ignore any digital zoom features.
    Has movie mode for 15fps @ 640x480 which is a little choppy but very cool - with mono sound.

See Steves-digicams as well.

Jason

3. VAG macrumors member

VAG

I own a Sony DSC-F707 (5MPixels) 1,5 year old camera all I can say is that it still rocks, many features and good quality photos.

Now you can choose one of the newer models like DSC-F717(5Mpixels) or the brand new DSC-F828 (8MPixels!!!)
    Here is a link you can see models of sony at ImageStation website:
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/list.html?class=still#DSC-F717

I asume you're in search for a camera that will stay great and comparable for the next 2-3 years ;)

LaterZzz

4. altair macrumors regular

Cannon Powershot S400 is amazingly wonderfull. Take a look at it, once I held it in my hands i felt just like when i hold my tibook.