Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjchevalier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
Greetings all, I am in a real bind. I had all my company financial data from Quickbooks on a mac with OS 9.1. I went to the MAC store and they let me restore my data and then back it up on a disc. The problem is my computer is now dead and the version of Quickbooks at the MAC store was a later version than mine. I need to have os10 installed to use this new version. I am borrowing someone's mac that has os9.0 on it and they DO NOT want os 10. I need to put os10 on to create a verified Quickbooks backup but then bring the MAC ibook back to os9.0??? Can someone tell me how to install os10 and then remove it so I leave the Ibook with 9.0 on it? Thank you so much for your help!!

Marc Chevalier
mjchevalier@yahoo.com

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Install it, do your business, start up in OS 9, trash the folders called Applications, Desktop, Library, System, and Users, empty the trash. That ought to do it.

It's a lot of work though, and if there's a problem with the iBook you're sunk. If you goof and overwrite the drive, sunk. iBook doesn't have enough RAM? Sunk. Trash System Folder instead of System, sunk.

Do you have an Apple Store around? Or a reseller? You might be able to do your work on a demo computer--bring a thumb drive with your data and the QuickBooks installer. Or go to a Kinkos--they have Macs there. Pay a few bucks and do your work there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.