Help! Can't adjust 15" Studio Display's brightness

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Skandranon, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Skandranon macrumors regular

Gang,

Another tech question: I'm working a dual display setup off my Titanium PowerBook 1GHz on a 15" LCD Apple Studio Display (ASD). The ASD is way too bright, but I can only adjust the brightness of the PowerBook screen in the Displays pane of System Preferences.

I'm absolutely stumped. Please, if anyone can help me out, reply to this thread or email me: skandranon at mac.com

Thanks, fellas.

:confused:

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

which screen did you have the brightness adjuster in? i think the adjuster changes thatever screen you have it in. try dragging it over to the ASD screen and adjusting :)

3. Skandranon thread starter macrumors regular

Figured it out!

I neglected to plug in the DVI-ADC adapter's USB plug into my PowerBook. Apparently that's what routes any control signals to and from the unit. Without the USB, it's just a pure digital signal minus the controllers.

Thanks for your help, Shadowfax. I hope someone may find this helpful one day. I have to learn to use this equipment properly.

:cool:

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that's odd, but makes sense, i guess. but how do you adjust the second screen, then, now you have it plugged in? was i right that you have to just drag it to the other screen, or are there 2 separate sliders for each screen? i haven't run a dual monitor setup on my Tibook in awhile, and i didn't really play with it much at the time...

5. Skandranon thread starter macrumors regular

Two separate controllers...

When you open Displays in System Preferences, it automatically launches two separate windows, one in each monitor. Each of the windows has it's own slider for the brightness setting.

The brightness keyboard controlls on the TiBook controls its screen, while the F14 and F15 on any external keyboard control the brightness on the LCD studio display.

Hope this is helpful. Take it light.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Two separate controllers...

ohhhhh, i get it. that's much smarter, heh. i didn't remember that from the days when i used to mate my tibook with the projector at school for presentations... makes more sense than my vague idea.