Help! Can't delete alias!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Spica, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Spica macrumors member

Sep 9, 2004
    I opened the Finder, created a new folder call 'Misc' under Applications. Then I drag 'Misc' to the column at the left hand side (above Movies) Now, there are 2 'Misc' one at the right hand side and one under Applications.

So I dragged the Misc under Applications into Trash and cleared the Trash. Now, every time I click on the 'Misc' at the left column a dialog box says -> The alias "Misc" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found. I can only click ok on the dialog box. So how do I delete the alias now?

It's very fustrating...
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Find the alias folder, and put it in the trash, the delete the trash. If that doesn't work, try a secure delete.

If your familiar with the terminal, you could cd to the folder the alias is in and type 'sudo rmdir Misc'.
  3. BeoVir macrumors member

Jun 3, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I think if you just click on and drag your misc folder that you put above the video folder out of the finder window then it should disappear.

The left hand side of the finder window is just a collection of alias' to folders on your harddrive. So the sections home, documents, video, etc. all are alias linked to the folders home, documents, video, etc. on your harddrive. So when you deleted teh misc folder from applications you broke the alias' link.

I just double checked and you can drag icons out of the left side of the finder. I would definantly try this before doing any thing else.
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
  5. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas

Spica, pay attention to Duff-Man's advice. He only gives out useful and helpful info. We need more like him around here :)