Help, can't delete wmv file that is 0.0Kbs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bloom, Dec 26, 2006.

1. bloom macrumors newbie

hey all,

Everytime i restart my macbook, this quicktime wmv file keep apearing on my desktop. originally i couldn't even delete it, it said it was in use even though no aplications were open and it wasn't being used. so i went to the finder menu and clicked securely empty trash, this "delete's" it until i reboot, where it appears on my desktop. When i click info it says it is 0.0Kbs, which is even more confusing. Please Help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, be very careful about this, but open up Terminal and paste the following:

Code:
    sudo rm -rf 

Then, drag the file to the open Terminal window and press RETURN. Note that there's a single space after the -rf. :)

3. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i did what was mentioned above, but now it is asking me for a password but it won't let me type, and when i press return it says, "sorry, try again"

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It will let you type the password, but it won't show you any asterisks or feedback of what is being written. Are you logged on as an admin? :)

5. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i typed in my password, and it said this:

rm: illegal option -- /
    usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
    unlink file

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You need to make sure you have a space after the commands mad jew told you to paste. Then drag the file to the Terminal window. If you don't have the space, the "-rf" flag runs together with the file location that gets inserted when you drag the file to the window, and you get the result you posted.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you sure you put the space after the -rf such that it is -rf[space]? The forum software (vBulletin) won't let me show the space in my original post. Sorry. :eek:

8. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

i never put in that extra space, that did the trick. thank you very much, i truly appreciate it

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just rebooted and the darn thing reapeared! do you think there's another way to get rid of it?

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Did you happen to use Firefox to download it and open it with QT? macosxhints has some help with the embedded wmv files and Firefox. Just another thought.

12. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have firefox, and it opens in quicktime, only it won't even open, cause there's nothing there, its just an icon that won't go away

13. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

When you delete it and restart your system, check the info. Does it have a new date/time stamp on it? As if it's being created by a process on startup of the computer??? Just a guess, but a place to start.

14. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

good idea mac-convert, i rebooted and checked the date and time created and modified, and they were both today and at the exact time i restarted, so it seems like it is creating this file during my startup.

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you go to System Preferences --> Accounts --> Login Items, what is listed there?

16. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a program called sizzling keys and something called "itunes helper" set to start at login, but i've never heard of itunes helper, i'm gonna take it off of my login settings and see what happens

17. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Dont, its good. It helps (ie, makes) your Mac recognize an iPod when connected.

18. bloom thread starter macrumors newbie

well deleting that program didn't help. if i bring this into the apple store to the genius bar, do you think they could be any help?

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew