Help! Can't turn menu option off in Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rassoodock, Feb 28, 2007.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

Hello! This is my first post, so please forgive me if this was asked before.

I recently upgraded from Word (running in Classic on my G5) to Microsoft Office 2004 for OSX. All is great, except for one thing. When I go to save a document, they have changed the save window to hide what I need to see (a finder window) and added so much extra options (compatibility report?!?!) that when I click to get the destination window I need, all the extra stuff they've added pushes the save button off-screen at the bottom. Isn't there a way to simplify the save window?

I have gone through every preference and option - there seems to be no way to turn this option off. Am I missing something or am I stuck? Any help or suggestion would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Michael

HERE'S A SCREEN SHOT OF WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT
    http://michaelreed.home.mindspring.com/word-screen.jpg

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I can't answer your question, but can't you just press return to save? Do you have to see the button?

3. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that is an option. However, my other issue is having to click to get the desired window (as in previous versions of Word). I have found Word to be easily customized, but this one has stumped me.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I do not believe that you can turn that compatibility panel on or off. I think it's just "there." Regardless, your dialog box should not be falling off the bottom of the screen. The dialog box itself is about 580 pixels tall, completely open (with Finder and all), so you should see it, even if you're running 1024x768. Is your screen resolution lower than that?

5. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

Yes - my screen resolution is 800 x 600. Anything larger and everything appears too small. Isn't there a way to get the old save-to window without all the extra garbage they added and I don't need? Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. Michael

6. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I am sorry, but I dont think there is a way. Microsoft says the minimum systems requirement are a screen resolution of 1068*768px.

Edit: there is a way... toggle the following button. You dont get rid of the microsoft stuff, but the osx finder panel

Attached Files:

7. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

I was afraid of that. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. It looks like Word just won't do what I want it to and I'll have to deal with it. What a shame. Michael