HELP! CD stuck in PowerBook slot-loading drive!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by johnnyjibbs, Nov 22, 2003.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

hi guys,

I've got a problem. I put in one of my CD-Rs with a compilation of music to import onto my computer. Got 3/4 through and it started making funny noises and wouldn't import any more. After seeing it was struggling, I pressed the little (X) at the top to abandon the import on that track. iTunes then crashed and the drive was still making funny noises. In the end I had to force quit iTunes.

Still making funny noises, I tried to eject the CD using the eject key and then by dragging the CD volume to the trash. Both times I got an error message saying "Can't eject: CD in use". I tried to relaunch iTunes and it said the library was locked, and it failed to launch. Still making funny noises, I decided to restart the computer.

Once restarted, the noises stopped but the CD is now not recognised by my powerbook! Pressing the eject key does diddly squat and there is no cd volume on my desktop. iTunes now works but does not recognise the CD!

Had a look at Apple Support site and they said to use open firmware. Did that and typed "eject cd" but i got an error message with that too.

I'm running out of options but there must be a simple way of getting it out! I don't want to send it away to Apple, I need it for uni!

Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW i'm running a 2 month old 1GHz PB 12" G4 with 10.2.8 and 256RAM. I have the superdrive version.

2. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Problem solved! :)

I read somewhere on the apple discussion boards to press Ctrl-Option-Command-Eject at the same time. That seemed to shut down my computer.

When I powered up again, the superdrive showed some life and started spinning up! So I entered open firmware again and this time it ejected. Phew!

Never going to put that CD in again!

I might just see how this develops. It may just have been a bad CD where the label I put on may have been a bit irregular or something. I hope I don't have a problem with my optical drive!

3. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If a disc gets stuck in the drive, restart the computer while holding down the mouse button, that will eject it.

5. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

thanks. I'd already tried that but it didn't work. I've since ripped another CD without any problems, and the drive was much quieter and healthier-sounding.