Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
My boyfriend is running 10.3.2, and he changed his root password, and now all his files and preferences are gone. He has a file called [user].sparseimage, but that's it. Can anyone help? Thanks. Sorry for the desperate post.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
beethovengirl said:
My boyfriend is running 10.3.2, and he changed his root password, and now all his files and preferences are gone. He has a file called [user].sparseimage, but that's it. Can anyone help? Thanks. Sorry for the desperate post.
he's using filevault right? anyway, um i'm not sure. I think you can get all his files and prefs from the sparseimage using the password he originally stated. Good luck :p boyfriends can always go nuts when something bad happens :p

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Calliander said:
Unless we're the computer geek of the relationship. ;)
bah my boyfriend is a computer geek (ibookin' on these forums) and he's always pissed when something doesnt work.
freakin cs major and all...*sigh*

billwest9999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
übergeek said:
bah my boyfriend is a computer geek (ibookin' on these forums) and he's always pissed when something doesnt work.

your bf is in cs and he actually messed up something so simple? boy, maybe he should withdraw from cs.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
billwest9999 said:
your bf is in cs and he actually messed up something so simple? boy, maybe he should withdraw from cs.
wtf are you talking about? i didnt name anything specific...your answer would be that no matter what the problem was?! :p
he's pretty smart :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think billwest9999 is simply confusing beethovengirl's boyfriend (who changed the password) with übergeek's boyfriend (who is a C.S. major).

Of course, as a matter of formal logic, we haven't proven that

ibookin' != beethovengirl's boyfriend

but I very much doubt that it is false.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Doctor Q said:
I think billwest9999 is simply confusing beethovengirl's boyfriend (who changed the password) with übergeek's boyfriend (who is a C.S. major).

Of course, as a matter of formal logic, we haven't proven that

ibookin' != beethovengirl's boyfriend

but I very much doubt that it is false.

My boyfriend has a PowerBook so yes, ibookin' != my boyfriend.
:)

Anyway, he looked around in some Apple Discussion forums, and found that FileVault is buggy. Others had similar problems, and he followed their instructions, and got everything back, after a couple hours. I was very tired, given that it was 3 am, so I don't know exactly what he did to fix it, but anyone who has FileVault turned on, be careful!

Oh, and my bf is not a CS major; he's a mathematician.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
beethovengirl said:
I was very tired, given that it was 3 am, so I don't know exactly what he did to fix it, but anyone who has FileVault turned on, be careful!

Yeah, just the big warning in FileVault about "if you lose this password, you files will be gone forever" is enough to keep me away. Not that I'd ever forget my password, but still... computer files are sensitive enough already, a simple password is enough to keep unwanted users away from my computer, no need to go encrypting/decrypting my files. Doesn't that make it more susceptible to error?

Calliander

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
übergeek said:

Ahhh... in that light, yeah, I'm constantly cursing my computer out if I'm doing something and a cable doesn't comply or something.

"Stupid... friggin'... power cables!" *YANK* "Ow, I just cut my hand! Stupid computer case!"

Heh. I cut myself while working on machines here so much that my boss said, "That's it. Bleeding on the job is now against the rules!" I go through several boxes of band-aids a month.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Can't you just boot from the install disk and change the password? Or am I misunderstanding something?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Calliander said:
Heh. I cut myself while working on machines here so much that my boss said, "That's it. Bleeding on the job is now against the rules!" I go through several boxes of band-aids a month.
haha. last night i got the most bizarre computer-related cut ever.
i was looking for a pencil i dropped underneath my desk and i was on all fours looking for it (normally i could care less, but this was my favorite woodless drawing pencil) and i turned really fast and felt something weird on my back. Thinking it was nothing i got up and looked at my back in the mirror and freaked cuz i got this bigass cut from the PSU in my PC (which was open). Heh.

And my boyfriend's computer == a 12" PowerBook, so maybe he should change his name again :p
Code:
while ((guy geek == true) && (problem == computer related))
  IQ=0;
else IQ = normal;
Hehe.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Sedulous said:
Can't you just boot from the install disk and change the password? Or am I misunderstanding something?

That is what you do to change the Administrator password if you've forgotten it and don't know what it is.

The root password is the password for the root superuser account. Root is like the god of your computer. It has complete control of your system while the administrator and other non root accounts do not. Its not a good idea to use the root user account as your main account. Some very bad things can happen, even by accident.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Who cares about the / directory? I can always reinstall. But if somebody erased ~, that would be painful!

WSU1991

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2004
La Crosse, WI
Lost Desktop

I see this is an older thread, but sounds similar to what I'm going through...didn't change the password. I can't seem to "mount" the user.sparseimage file using Disk Utilities. I've tried loging in as a different Admin but to no avail. I was using FileVault...you know something new, so let's try it.

Here's the error message that I get when using First Aid in DU...

Repairing disk for “disk3s2”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Repair attempted on 1 volume
0 HFS volumes repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

Any thoughts would be helpful...not savy in the underlayings of OSX...I'm a designer, not a CS major. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.