Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
using this hint: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050627224051361&query=change+screenshot+format

I changed my screenshot format to jpg. I had done this once before but decided to switch back to png... But I've decided that jpg's are better for my current situation.

Anyhow, I did the kill systemuiserver part as well, and now when i take a screenshot, I hear the little camera shutter sound, but the files do not appear on my desktop. I have NO idea if screenshots are still working at all or if the files are being stored elsewhere or what. I've logged out and back in. I've restarted, and still no luck. NO SCREENSHOTS.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
This is just me, but I've never had screenshots appear on the desktop. Are you used to an actual image file appearing on there? For me, it just copies the photo to the clipboard and I can paste it into any application. Did you try that?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you press CONTROL during the normal screenshot key sequence, it'll copy to the Clipboard instead of create a file, like KD7IWP said. Maybe check your Clipboard (Edit menu in Finder). :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Try a Spotlight search for "Picture 1" or "Picture 2" to see if you can find where the files are going. In order to make changing file formats simpler, you can use something like TinkerTool...maybe switching the options in there will help reset things to a usable state for you. It's a great program to have for tweaking things anyway.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
KD7IWP & Mad Jew-

I am talking about an actual PNG or JPG file titled "Picture 1" "Picture 2" etc, appearing on the desktop. This is how screenshots work on the mac if you use APPLE + SHIFT + 4 and then use the crosshairs to select what you want to screenshot.

WILDCOWBOY-

I will try tinkertool. I forgot I even already have it installed!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
agentphish said:
KD7IWP & Mad Jew-

I am talking about an actual PNG or JPG file titled "Picture 1" "Picture 2" etc, appearing on the desktop. This is how screenshots work on the mac if you use APPLE + SHIFT + 4 and then use the crosshairs to select what you want to screenshot.

Sorry, I just got a chuckle from someone telling mad jew how to take a screenshot. I'm pretty sure he knows what's going on. As he said, if you also hold down control at the same time, you copy to the clipboard rather than the desktop.

This is also how screenshots work "on the mac". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.