Help choosing a 2.5" external drive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kingsly, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

I am going out of town this summer and need a scratch disk for some editing I need to do (and perhaps a few games? :D )
    Apparently, the world's HDD manufactures have dumped FireWire and warmly embraced USB 2.0.
    My first question is... Is USB 2.0 sufficient speed for a scratch disk?
    If not, can someone suggest a good 2.5" FW drive that is inexpensive (under $150 would be great)

Finally, How much space do you think I need? I have two big scratch disks at home, and the 2.5 would be more of a 'travel' disk for one or two projects and a small partition for windows games.
  2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    Could you build your own??

Here are some 2.5 in enclosures i found on newegg.

Here are some notebook hard drives that can fit in the enclosures.
  3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Lacie has some good refurbs if you're OK with USB in that price range:
    100GB 5400RPM USB 2.0 Mobile, Designed by F.A. Porsche (RECON) - $149.99

That ain't too shabby, though I would just wait and see if any of their FW drives end up on there.
  4. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    usb sucks for video, it's unusable get a firewire one.
  5. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    Try the Lacie rugged you can get it in 80gb or 100gb 5400 rpm and it has Firewire 800 / 400 and USB and does not need to be powered.
  6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    I've just ordered this from Macally, since I have a spare 60Gb 4200 notebook drive, after upgrading my wife's XP notebook HD.

Nice to have USB2 and Firewire connections - plus it'll allow daisy chaining, potentially to a video-camera for mobile capturing.

I've used both USB2 and Firewire for SD/mini-DV video capture, without any problems. I prefer firewire though, as it's supposed to manage bandwidth more effcientiently then USB2.
  7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Alrighty, so I guess USB 2.0 is out of the question. I am interested in the LaCie drives... I just haven't a clue how much space I'm going to need.
    I am guessing no less than 60GB, right?