Help choosing a *large* gaming HDTV?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    In a few months I will moving my coffee shop into a much larger building and am planning to have a dedicated console gaming room to hold tournaments, etc.

I want to have two very large HDTVs (60"+) and was hoping some of you here could make some recommendations!

I wish I could say that cost is no object, but it is. I was hoping for a price if $1750/ea, but as I would really like 1080p support without downscaling I'm thinking I might be able to go up to $2500/ea. I'm thinking the price of those will go down in 4-6 months, so that should help me with the cost.

Here's my basic specifications:
    • 16:9 Widescreen
    • No plasma, probably looking at DLP considering the size
    • 1080p support is what I'd really like for a screen that size, but might settle for 1080i if it's a great TV
    • HDMI
    • Optical audio out

The one I've found so far is the TOSHIBA 62HM196 62" 16:9 Black DLP Technology Integrated HDTV but I have never owned a Toshiba nor a DLP television, so any help/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!
  2. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2006
    Not MUCH to offer in line with your requirements, but I did want to let you know that prior to my latest purchase (58" Panasonic Plasma) that I almost exclusively bought televisions from Toshiba.

I experienced very few (if any) problems-- especially on my large screen projection televisions-- which is rare-- and the one time that I did their customer service (fixed under warranty) was quick and efficient. This experience is from back in 2000, however.

I'd have no problem buying from Toshiba in the future if they had what I wanted.
  3. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
  4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    I paid for a 50" Sony SXRD TV for $3,500. However, using circuit city price matching (110% difference refund), I checked their website everyday for 30 days and took advantage of it everyday. I used it 3 times and got back $950.
  5. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    If you don't have one, get a Costco membership. You can't beat the price and warranty at Costco.
  6. jonaseriksson macrumors member

Jun 5, 2005
    Thomson is one of the very few brands that have a zero dead pixel policy.