Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rest44

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Now that my mac pro has arrived (2.66, 2GB ram, and an extra 320GB HDD) I found my self looking for a sequencer to do my audio recording and editing.

My doubts are in Logic, Digital Performer or pro tools. Can you guys help me on my decision?

I have a presonus firepod firewire interface and I´ve used cubase on a pc in the past. I mainly record bands and I don´t need much of midiwork. I can use it a little in the future, but my main focus right now is on audio recording, editing and mixing.

Logis was going to be my choice, but I´ve eard bad things of it´audio editing interface.

Digital Performer is worthed? I eard good things about it, but comparing to logic and pro tools, is it better?

Pro tools: is it worthed? to buy a core system is a big big investment.. is that interface better than others?

I was thinking on buying a makie midi controler for mixing in the sequencer and using logic.. but I need more feedback of experienced users.

Please help!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
logic, dp and pt are all excellent and feature-laden programs. the CW is that pt is better for audio, but worse for sequencing. ymmv.

the best one for you is the one that most closely matches your workflow, and no one but you can figure that out. find copies you can play with (friend, guitar center, etc) and see what you like.

regarding pt and hardware, yes, an HD core system is pricey -- is that really on your list? 'cuz that's a whole 'nother ballgame. perhaps you were referring to the digi and m-audio consumer systems, running either pt-m or ptle. as you intimated, those apps do require compatible hardware.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
btw -- these apps are called DAWs (digital audio workstations), not sequencers. sequencing is built into each of them, but the apps are much bigger than just the sequencer component.

rest44

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
I tought daw was the computer itself, not the program. That´s why I posted like that. :x Always learning.

And I wasn´t talking about pro tools m-audio or 002. I was talking about the real thing. Is it worthed? Comparing to Logic/DP5?? That was my question..

Witch platform to choose for recording/editing/mixing? LOGIC? DP? PT?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if you're ready to drop $20k on digi hardware and plug-ins because of what some random person on some forum tells you, then yes, i think you should do it.

full-blown PT will destroy either logic or DP running with your presonus. be sure to tell us how you like your new system.

rest44

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
if you're ready to drop $20k on digi hardware and plug-ins because of what some random person on some forum tells you, then yes, i think you should do it.

full-blown PT will destroy either logic or DP running with your presonus. be sure to tell us how you like your new system.

lol, of course not by what some random ppl tell me in a forum, but it helps in research! It´s always good to know what other people think.. even if is a small system for home use, or a full setup for semi-pro recording!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Unless you are a recording studio with a budget in the 10's of thousands, ignore ProTools HD/TDM systems.

If you choose ProTools LE or M-Powered, your Presonus interface will be redundant.

Why not choose Cubase for Mac? You already know it... 4.0 is out and its Universal Binary.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Traditionally Pro Tools is best for hard drive recording. Studio work. But their midi side has gotten better.

And Logic is superior for midi, synths, samples, etc. but can do pretty much anything.

Digital Performer is perhaps the best midi sequencer, some would say. It was the king in the tv/film world before Logic became dominant now.

I'm very biased; I think Logic is perhaps the greatest app on the planet. And it comes with tons of synths, reverbs, effects, etc, etc, etc. Whereas Pro Tools does not come with anything nearly as close. Digital Performer feeling the heat from Logic, has now included some synths and such in their latest release to beef up their program.

Try the demos of each if you can and see which one you like best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.