help [Cinema Display refresh rate & Windows drivers]

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JasonBourne, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JasonBourne macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    I just bought the Apple Cinema 23-inch display and have it hooked up to my awesome Alienware P4.

Don't worry, I'm a MacHead too... I have a G4 Titanium laptop... but that's not the topic of this post.

I have had some interesting results dealing with the fact that Apple has ignored the fact that people might want to also drive this beauty on a PC.

The main problem, which really isn't even a problem unless you're a hardcore gamer, is that you can't adjust the refresh rates of the monitor. It sits a bottom-scraping 60hz and that's it.

I'm wondering if there are any hopes that Apple might release either a system utility for the PC to use, or at least a simple *.inf file so that we could recognize this thing.

If not, I'm wondering if there's any way to deceive my PC into seeing this monitor by using a similar monitor profile (*.inf file).

Any ideas?

2. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    ok delta, or cain, or webb, whatever, how about being more descriptive in the title fo the thread? or did the monk tell you not to?
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    LCD panels have a fixed refresh rate (and in some ways don't really have a refresh rate). You cannot run them at higher or lower rates. 60Hz will not flicker on an LCD. Unfortunatly you tend to get a lot of smear on LCDs in fast games.
  4. goon macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2004
    Same thing...

Yep I also purchased this 2000.00 dollar monitor and I have a pc. My first video card I had with it ( ATI 9800XT) wouldn't even show the post-screen. In fact it didn't even work in DOS. So I found out that nvidias cards could let you see the post-screen and would work in DOS. So I went out and got a NVIDIA 5950 ULTRA and yep it worked fine, I could see the post-screen and DOS.

And yes refresh rate does matter with this display, because I had my resolution set to 1280x1024 and my desktop looked all sketchy look en. So I upend the refresh rate to 80 and it looked smooth. Then I updated my video card drivers to the most current ones and it want let me choose my refresh rate, because I don't have the drivers or an inf file.

I think it is stupid that APPLE makes a Product and only makes it work half way for windows. They made the ADC convert so it could work with Windows, but the peeps COULDN'T FINISH THE JOB AND MAKE A 8k INF file.

So if anybody could make me a inf file that works with windows i would pay $$$$$$$