HELP! Clueless Airport Rookie Alert

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zelmo, Aug 12, 2004.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Someone please take pity on me.
    I have an iMac connected via ethernet cable to my cable modem, and I am the proud [but mildly frustrated] owner of a new AlumPB and an AEBS. I'd like to set up my network by:
    • connecting the modem to AEBS WAN port via ethernet cable,
    • connect my iMac to the AEBS via ethernet to LAN port so I don't have to buy an older 802.11b card for it,
    • set up my PB with the AE card it came with.

I can't figure out how to set this thing up for the life of me. I was hoping I could simply run the e/net line from the modem to the WAN port on AEBS, connect the LAN port to my iMac e/net port, config the AEBS, then add the PB to the already created Airprt n/w. I can't seem to maake this work. Of course, the manual says I need to have a Mac with an AE card installed in order to config the AEBS. I need help, please.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

power up the basestation, once you have it connected to your modem and imac, then start up your power book and use it to configure the basestation to do this to go Applications > Utilities and use the Airport Setup Assistant, instead of choosing to join an existing network, choose the second option to set up a basestation, this will then walk to through the steps to set it up

also make sure the Powerbook is up-to-date

hope this helps
    ~tim

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

try this:
    -unplug the cable modem and airport basestation from power
    -wait at least a minute
    -plug in the cable modem
    -wait a minute
    -plug in the airport basestation, and plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the WAN port.
    -in your powerbook, open applications->utilities->Airport Setup Assistant

Hope that helps,
    Lee Tom

4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Still Clueless, but at least I'm surfin' again!

With the few remaining shreds of my sanity, I thank both PlaceofDis and Lee Tom for their assistance. I am typing this on my PB, while my daughter surfs the 'net on our iMac.

This forum is great! :) :)