Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Hi folks.

I got a mini displayport to displayport cable so that I could mirror my macbook air on one of my 23" Dell displays. The problem is that I can only get 1920x1080 to work on the external monitor in extended mode and not in mirrored. When I use mirrored both displays use 1366x768, even if the external is set to 1920x1080 and ticked as such. I have tried various resolutions on the air itself to see if I can force 1080p on the external display but no joy. It's mirrored or nothing for me so please help!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Mirrored means that it will use the same resolution in both displays.

You're joking right? That is hilarious. This is my first Mac and I am totally in love but mirrored has never meant that in Linux or windows where you can always adjust resolutions independently of one another. This is a a crazy over site from Apple. What if you want to do a demonstration with a 1080p projector for example. Madness I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also in extended it seems to default to the horrible low res default wallpaper on the second display.

Hmmmmm, not great. Windows leads on external displays i'm afraid.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You're joking right? That is hilarious. This is my first Mac and I am totally in love but mirrored has never meant that in Linux or windows where you can always adjust resolutions independently of one another. This is a a crazy over site from Apple. What if you want to do a demonstration with a 1080p projector for example. Madness I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also in extended it seems to default to the horrible low res default wallpaper on the second display.

Hmmmmm, not great. Windows leads on external displays i'm afraid.

I'm afraid you don't understand how a mirror works.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
How dare you! It is you that does not understand desktop mirroring. I have been using desktop mirroring with ATI and Nvidia display adapters in both Linux and Windows for many years and on many different desktop PC's and Laptops. Can you please explain to me what it is I do not get? Apple's implementation is fundamentally flawed and if you disagree with that statement you will be heavily undermining your own intelligence.

Mirroring should mirror the content but still allow both displays to use their native resolution.

Do you actually disagree with me? I would say that the single negative of joining the Mac community is that it's members are rarely technical and that even when they are they will not admit when Apple are wrong. It's a shame.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'll get this out of the way first: I haven't used a Windows machine with more than one monitor before, so the terminology I'm not familiar with on that side.

However...my point still stands. A mirror reflects information that is presented to it, it's simply duplicating pixel for pixel the primary monitor.

However (again), after doing some reading, it turns out OS X' mirror mode is Windows' 'clone' mode. Different name for the same thing. There's no need to argue semantics here and concede both words make sense.

The 'mirror' mode you're seeking doesn't not exist on OS X. And to be honest, I have no idea how it provides any benefit.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Set the external display as your main display (drag the dock over) and you are good to go. Unless you cant see the external monitor yourself?

paeza

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Canberra, Australia
Hi folks.

I got a mini displayport to displayport cable so that I could mirror my macbook air on one of my 23" Dell displays. The problem is that I can only get 1920x1080 to work on the external monitor in extended mode and not in mirrored. When I use mirrored both displays use 1366x768, even if the external is set to 1920x1080 and ticked as such. I have tried various resolutions on the air itself to see if I can force 1080p on the external display but no joy. It's mirrored or nothing for me so please help!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

I have macair 11" and sony viao 14" with window 7. Both machines act the same way on LG monitor when I do mirror. There are black stripes at the top and the bottom of the screen.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
How dare you! It is you that does not understand desktop mirroring. I have been using desktop mirroring with ATI and Nvidia display adapters in both Linux and Windows for many years and on many different desktop PC's and Laptops. Can you please explain to me what it is I do not get? Apple's implementation is fundamentally flawed and if you disagree with that statement you will be heavily undermining your own intelligence.

Mirroring should mirror the content but still allow both displays to use their native resolution.

Do you actually disagree with me? I would say that the single negative of joining the Mac community is that it's members are rarely technical and that even when they are they will not admit when Apple are wrong. It's a shame.

I lol'd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.