Help connecting ADSL to both my Macs via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sierra oscar, Nov 10, 2006.

1. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I've a PPC iMac (no bluetooth or airport card) that is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable via a SpeedStream box (supplied by my provider).

I've just got my C2D Macbook and want to connect via ADSL too (without having to keep switching the ethernet cord each time from my PPC to do it).

What do I need? (I've already called around local shops here - but I keep getting ppl who don't know what to suggest).

What is the best (and least expensive) way to have both my machines sharing the same connection?
    a) a router that I attach to my ADSL modem box?
    b) some sort of splitter cable or cross over cable?
    c) will an apple wireless / airport express suit here? (if so, can I use this for my MB and keep the ethernet cable setup for my PPC iMac?)

It's frustrating as all seem to need is a extra ethernet port on my modem.

Any suggestions and advice would be very welcome

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

A wireless router, with built-in enet switch.

You plug the iMac into one of the available swith ports (LAN).

The Airport Express won't work, as it only has the one enet port. If you want to go with Apple, then the Airport Extreme Base is the one.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think your best bet would be a cheap wireless router. an AirPort Express won't work - it has but one Ethernet jack, and you'd need that to connect to the modem. An AirPort Extreme would work but is far more expensive than other solutions. Depending on your modem, I'm guessing that a switch wouldn't do the job (the modem likely won't assign IP addresses, etc.). So... wireless router seems like the best bet (just don't get one that's only wireless - almost all have 4 or more ports on the back).

You'll plug the iMac into the router and connect wirelessly with the MB.

4. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you gr8tfly & jsw

Now... I'm off to buy a cheap wireless router with cable access

appreciate the help - thank you both, you've saved me much time and probably money...