Help: connecting Powerbook to LCD Projector

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kraftzwerg, Jul 14, 2005.

1. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Since I updated my 12" Powerbook Rev D to OS X 10.4.2, my LCD projector doesn't recognize it anymore. Does anyone have the same problem? Do you happen to know how to fix it?

Many thanks for any useful hint!

2. witness macrumors 6502

My 17" PowerBook works just fine, though with some projectors OS X doesn't automatically detect them and I have to ask it to detect screens manually.

3. kraftzwerg thread starter macrumors regular

Mine also worked fine until I installed the update to 10.4.2. Now it doesn't even work when I ask it to detect the projector manually. In fact, after asking it to detect screens, it shows the projector, but it apparently doesn't send the video signal to the projector, because the projector doesn't recognize anything. (The projector works fine with a IBM notebook and also worked fine with my Powerbook before the update.)

Anyone else have that problem?

4. witness macrumors 6502

I guess that the 12" has a different graphics card, so maybe there is a problem with 10.4.2 and NVIDIA? (sorry that I’m not being more helpful)

If you’re using mirroring you could try lowering the resolution of the PowerBook before you connect the projector.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Which adapter are you using? Cause my VGA -> Composite/SVideo adapter for my iBook doesn't work after the update, when I plug in a TV it comes up with a display preference for a VGA display rather than the NTSC/PAL display that used to come up before the update.

6. kraftzwerg thread starter macrumors regular

In the meantime, I tried everything I could think of (mirroring on/off, changing resolution, trying a different projector, I even tried another 12" powerbook): it simply doesn't work! Now I can't use my powerbook for presentations anymore, which was the main purpose I bought it for. Already had two instances where I had to use someone elses Windows notebook instead. This bug really annoys me ...

7. witness macrumors 6502

I tested it again this evening. I have a clean install of 10.4.2 and I attached a Sharp Notevision projector.

My PowerBook didn't automatically recognize it, but a quick trip into system preferences and click detect and it worked first time.

My only thoughts is that it may be either a problem with your graphics card and 10.4.2 or there may be a problem with your setup or there may be a hardware fault with your PowerBook, although it's a little strange that it only happened after installing 10.4.2. If you have another projector it might be worth giving it a try to confirm that the fault is not with the projector, or even another monitor (they're the same thing really).

If all else fails perhaps you'll have to call Apple.