Help - Connecting to WindowsNT server - LOOK!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by srobert, Mar 19, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ok. I'm a lonely Mac working in a all PC company.

I'm hooked on a windows NT server for emails and so that my files get backed-up every nights.

I always have trouble connecting to the server since I upgraded to 10.3.

Here is what I see when connecting with classic's chooser. (That's good by the way):

[​IMG]

And here is what I get when I connect using Panthers Network Browser (and it's Wrong!:

[​IMG]

You'll notice I can't see the icons of my files and My Quark application (4.1) won't even open them using the open command. You'll also notice that my color labels are gone.

Here is a zoomed view of the mysterious unrecognizable quark files:

http://homepage.mac.com/srobert/.Pictures/thumbnails/zoomed_icon.jpg

Also, when browsing around on the server using OSX, I often see mysterious icons called "Icon*" that I don't see using classic's chooser. My guess is that those files are normally invisible to the mac. But somehow, I can see those with panther. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me with this?

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
    Those files have somehow lost their type and creator information, which Quark needs to recognize the files. Also, the labels are stored in the same place that the file type/creator is (the resource fork), so I suspect that something funny's happening with the resource fork in Panther of those files. One possibility is that the labels and file type/creator data is actually stored locally on your hard disk in a place that Classic knows about but Mac OS X doesn't. Someone may have changed the Mac compatibility settings on the Windows NT server, which could also be screwing things up.
    <edit> I mistakenly put my reply inside the quote of your post. That's fixed now.</edit>

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

What's starnge is that it works fine ic Classic but not in Panther. Those previous screenshots were taken from the same computer on the same hour.

4. dudeami macrumors regular

This seems to me like it my be an issue with Quark 4.1 running in classic mode when booted to 10.3.

Quark 6 is compatible, and will run natively in OS 10.3.

Are there difference when accessing the share from OS 9 and OS 10, like do you use appletalk in OS 9, but SMB in OS 10.

5. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Quark? Hmmm... maybe. But it did work fine in 10.2.

Appletalk is on in panther.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This suggests that you are having crossed protocol issues when using Mac OS X. Mac OS 9 doesn't know about Samba, so it doesn't get confused. Mac OS X, on the other hand, does use Samba. With both Samba and AppleTalk active, Mac OS X might be getting confused about which protocol to use and might be using the wrong one (Samba instead of AppleTalk).

7. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Solution? ^_^

8. dudeami macrumors regular

Ok I didn't know you were using 10.2 originally.

Have you update the OS to 10.3.3? Those updates had some corrections to browsing and applications running in classic mode.

However, there is no application installed for OS X on your machine that can open those files. The application you have is an OS 9 version, so you might expect to see different icons when viewing the file with an OS that has the Application installed like OS 9 chooser, and when viewing it with an OS that doesn't haven't installed like OS 10.3. If you don't already have 10.3.3 installed, maybe this will help OS X associate the file with the OS 9 Application.

Also could you elaborate on the problem opening the files from the Quark 4.1 menu. Does it let you browse to the directory? Can you see the file when you have browsed to the directory in the open file window? Do you get a permissions error, or an application error? Do you only access Quark files on the mounted network drive? Can you save a New test quark file to the mounted network drive?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try turning off SMB temporarily in Directory Access.

10. dudeami macrumors regular

Here is another thing to try.

When you are browsing the mounted network drive in OS 10.3.3, right click on one of the Quark files, or ctrl-click if you have a one button mouse and choose get info. Alternately you can highlight the file and hit open-apple-I.

In the get info window, pull down the Open with: box and choose the quark 4.1 application. you should see this application towards the bottom, there should be different sections in the drop down selection box. The first section should contain the current default application that OS X will try to use to open that file type, the next section should be a list of OS X applications that the OS thinks you can use to open that file type, the next section should be a list of OS 9 (Classic) applications that OS X thinks you can use to open that application. If you see Quark here choose it, if not go to the last section which is Other... section and browse to the quark 4.1 application and choose it. Now that you have selected Quark 4.1 to open this file, associate all files of this type with Quark by hitting the Change All button in the Open with: section of the Info window. Then close the Info window. You should see the Icon of those files change to the Quark looking icon that you see in Classic. Then try double-clicking the file to open. If OS 9 is not already running in emulation, then you should see both the OS 9 startup Icon and the Quark 4.1 icon opening in the dock.

Hope this helps.

11. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Got an inyteresting explanation on an anothoher forum from a guy named John:

I'll try it right now...

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

adding an extension to those files should work

I icon file is normal. it is a custom icon for the folder it is in.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's what I suspected the problem was. I just didn't explain it very well.