Help convert sister to imac and not a DELL!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macstudent, Mar 14, 2002.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

Hi,

I was hoping all of your could help me convince my sister and her finace to buy the new iMac. Here is the situation:

My sister and her fiance are both about 31. She is a teacher and is currently using a powerbook g3 233. After their marriage this summer they will be buying a new computer. Her fiance wants to get a Dell with a flat screen. Both of them are not very computer literate. My sister knows how to use both macs and pc's, but is not a pro by any means. He on the other hand is a beginner that has problems with most tasks.

The problem is that he is stubborn and set in his ways about getting a computer. This is how he descriped what he wants to get. " I want a fast computer that looks cool, flat screen, and a burner, but I don't want to spend a lot of money" Now that is the new imac!

I mentioned this to them, but he ruled it out instantly because he said that macs suck, and thats it. He does like to play games, so I give them that arguement, but he doesn't play that much and he has a short attention span with the few games he does play. My sister has the only valid arguement against it. She likes to talk on yahoo messenger, but she wants to do the video conferencing with a webcam. Currently you can only do this on a pc.

I have told her about virtual PC and that I would install it for her and teach her everything she needs to know. I also mentioned total cost of ownership, ease of use, and the fact that she is a teacher and they have all macs at her school. But it is not working.

Please give me your advice. The shipping times of the lowend mac will hopefully not be an issue since they will be buying their computer mid june.

Thanks

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Im assuming the guy has the old sterotype against the mac. He does not know much about the new ones so his ignorance to the mac blinds him in wanting a dell. Try and find out why exaclty he does not want a mac....ask him...dont take "becuase macs suck" for an answer. If he gives you a reason other then the "suck" one then report back to us. If he doesnt then beat him with that. lol

But please do ask him or have your sister do it.... and report it to us.

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

can anyone else offer any help or suggestions? i know you all are looking.:D

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

PC Emulator

The main reason my friends don't like the mac is because its gaming platform is a bit lacking. Of course you can get emulator like Virtual PC but there are other options that may be cheaper. I don't know if SoftWindows has developed software for OS X.

5. DNA macrumors newbie

Piece of cake...

...just tell him this:

My father has had nothing but macs at his department and at home since the mid-80s. ALL COMPUTERS STILL WORK (Even the old Mac Plus and SE ones). AND THE SUPPORT COST FOR HIS DEPARTMENT IS A FRACTION OF THE SUPPORT COST FOR THE WINDOWS PC DEPARTMENTS AT THE SAME UNIVERSITY.

I know three people who have had DELL computers at home. Two of these three has quit working within two years. One of them suddenly shuts down and starts sounding like a pinball game once in a while. If they're gonna buy a windows PC, at least make sure it's not a DELL...

All my friends who use a Windows PC at home either do not use them because they have problems with them, need a geek friend to help them with hard- and software problems, or know a lot about the latter themselves.

I, on the other hand, don't know a lot about computers, but I HAVE NEVER HAD TO LEARN, my Macs have worked fine anyway.

That's it, I guess. If you don't want to spend your time working on the computer itself: Get the imac!

And, by the way, the coolness factor of this creature has definitely made an impression on my PC-stubborn friends too, so if these guys are the show-off kind of people, tell them that too.

Good luck

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thats a good point dna. if the guy does not know about comps in the first place then he should get one that would give him the least amount of trouble. the only ones that fit the bill are definitly the macs. if he still does not change his mind then go to plan b.

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

"Dude, he's getting a Dell!" (Way to go for brand loyalty, Michael. What is the difference between a dell and the other 50 peecee brands? Nada. Oh, wait, there is, the logo on the front. )

And by the way, have you guys seen that IBM commercial where the 20 something Leisure Suit Larry look-a-like is trolling an ibm comp with monitor through the call center telling the operators they better answer their phone because the calls will start any minute? Am I the only one who looked at that and laughed. I can't believe they were serious. That thing looked awful. It reminded me of my parents old 486 with a 100mb hard drive. Ouch.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yep i got a kick outa that commercial also...funny.

9. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I have in fact, brought by sister to a local comp usa and we both were in awe of the new imac. The problem is, they both still have the stereo types that nothing works with a mac. The problem is that no matter what they get, I will be the one helping them. I would LOVE to get them on the mac bandwagon, but I can't put too much pressure on them or they will just ignore what I have to say. And it is familiy so I will still troubleshoot their crappy new PC if they choose to get one.

10. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

Yahoo messenger

THe other major arguement that my sister has is about yahoo messenger. She wants to be using her webcam, but the logitech webcam is not mac compatible. The mac yahoo messenger does not support the video webcam's either. THis is a big point for her, and I have the feeling that she thinks this is how everything will be like if she gets a mac. This is not true of course.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know if this will help, but I was a die hard pc nut. I made fun of my friends and their macs for years. I seriously thought macs sucked and wouldn't even consider them.

That being said, I bought a very high end IBM (don't laugh - at the time, it was as the best available) and it screamed on games. Shortly thereafter, my friend updated his mac. About two years ago, I bought a high end Compaq. It also screamed on games, etc... I now need to replace it, cause, well, it's slow and it stinks. Lots of blue screens and errors and crashes.

Guess what, the Mac my friend bought still is chugging along as a very nice desktop unit. No need for replacement yet.

Dude, your getting a Dell is a very good slogan, because, if they get a dell, they will be buying them every couple of years.

I've learned my lesson. For my next computer, I'm buying an Apple laptop, and then after that, an Apple tower.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Try reviews.

There are *tons* of reviews out there for Macs and Mac products right now.

Most head-to-head reviews of the iMac/iBook/TiBook and their PC counterparts come out sounding very favorable towards the Macs. Also, look for software reviews (ie. iTunes, iMovie, MS office for Mac) to help show them that software does exist for the Mac and most times its better than its PC counterpart. Finally, show them some of the positive articles written by the growing number of PC converts. There are a lot of people saying a lot of very good things about the Mac platform right now. Use them to your advantage.

Your sis and her husband should do some research before buying a computer, right? Help them do that research. Give them lots of stuff to read for both PCs and Macs. Show them *exactly* what Macs can do and *exactly* what they can't do. People are often surprised when they find out how much Macs can actually handle. The best way to do this is a hands on demo with some reasonably good hardware.

Also, don't fail to point out the Macs good points AND bad points. One of the best ways to show that your are not a Mac zealot trying to convert them is by making concessions about the Mac platform. Are Macs perfect? Nope. Are they better than their PC counterparts? I say yes. Play this angle.

Good luck. I'm behind you 100% in your efforts. They are noble efforts.

Matthew

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Don't forget price

Be sure to point out how much cheaper it will be to own a mac then a DELL, there is no doubt that they will be spending many happy hours with Dell tech support as they some how "Accidentally" erase the HD.
    Good luck
    I feel sorry for your sister

14. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

Thanks for all of your help. They will not purchase a computer without my help anyway since I am the "computer person" in the family.

I plan on printing out varrious review and comparions. I hope to reason with them. Also, I have told her that I will not allow her to buy a new computer without having both of them go to comp USA and they can look at the imac in person together. I have the feeling that when he sees how cool this is, he will want one.

I have a question. The low end imac only comes with 128mb RAM for $1250 (after teacher discount, another plus), but is 128 enough for their day to day use in OSX? They will be surfing the internet over DSL, using office, play a game now and then, and listening to music.

One more quick note. I just thought of an ace I have up my sleave. I can sweeten the deal by telling them that I will buy them a digital camera for their wedding present if they buy the imac. I was planning on spending $200-250 on them anyway. And camera prices are so low right now that by this summer I will be able to get them a nice one.

Thanks for all of your help again.

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

RAM

128 is SKIMPY for OS X. Put as much RAM as possible in it.

16. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

The problem is that on the lowend imac it only comes with 128 internal. The only option to bumpup the internal ram is to 512 which is an extra $313! That is out of the question for my sister. That leaves the option of adding the additonal ram myself, but they will not want to spend the money on a 512 chip for the external. But I don't want them to be stuck later on when they want and/or need more ram.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can upgrade the RAM via the upgrade the slot in the bottom later on. The 512 SO-DIMMs are about $200. Apple charges pretty high for their RAM.

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

there is no way that you're going to do video conferencing on virtual PC. you can't watch any video on that thing, its way to slow. I can't even get a decent 5 fps or so playback in VPC4 or 5 on my dual G4 500.

19. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Actually, there does seem to be a difference. While all Windows machines seem equally susceptible to the BSOD, rapid obsolete status, etc, Dells distinguish themselves by having remarkably crappy hardware reliability as well. My friend has had a Dell laptop since May. In less than a year se has had to have the optical drive replaced twice, and then last week her screen just up and died. If your sister and her husband aren't to be swayed by OS arguments, the high quality of the hardware might be the ticket. My school has a lab of 18 13-year-old Macs. Yes, they're slow; yes, they're ugly (and are running At Ease - yuck!). But they're also running Office 98 without a problem. Show me a 13-year-old Dell that can do *that*!

(Also, I should add that my mom - who, after using Windows machines at work for years, still calls me nearly daily because she can't do what she wants to do - sat down at my iMac and had no trouble at all moving around in OS X. For someone like your future brother-in-law who has little computer background, the intuitiveness of OS X can't be beat).

20. Choppaface macrumors 65816

all laptops seem to crap out pretty easily at one point or another. my G3 pb has no rubber feet anymore, by friends first revision ibook is missing the leaf to its apple, and my dad has had to have both his hard drive and dvd-rom drive replaced in his first revision powerbook g4

21. dualburn001 macrumors regular

yea, but i highly doubt all this happened in less than a year after they purchased them

22. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

Thanks for all of your help

Thanks again.

After I get back from spring break, Virgina beach:) next week, I will be gathering information to show them. I am going to print out a dell, gateway, and apple pricelist of comparible systems. I will then make a list of the pro's and cons of each. I intend to include everything you have discussed here.

Thanks again, and I will let you know how it turns out. But I feel that there is only about a 33% chance I can change there mind, but where there is a will there is a way!

23. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

refuse to ever help them again if they get a dell

that's what i would do (but i probably would help anyway and just rub it in their face)

yahoo messanger is a pretty weak excuse to keep using a pc.... it's like saying "i can't use windows because it doesn't adium" wait, i say that now anyways heheeheheh :)

24. Choppaface macrumors 65816

apple leaf fell off after 3 years of use. my rubber feet are gone after 2 years of use, technically though they fell off after 1 month of putting it in my back pack. but for the g4 pb, the hard drive crapped out in the first 5 days of use (it started clicking *just* as i had finished transfering all his files over..grrr..) and the dvd-rom died in the first 6 months. also recently some plastic part near the opening button broke

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The first two instances are just cosmetic and didn't happen for a long time. If that's the worst thing that happened to them, then you're in great shape.

As for the PBG4 you either got a bad HD, or it got slammed when it was reading writing. If you move your notebook too fast (drop it) while it's accessing the HD you can do permanent damage.
    As for the DVD...I don't know.:rolleyes: