Help!!! Convince me this is it!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kitrik, May 2, 2005.

1. Kitrik macrumors member

After many hours perusing apple's website, working with OSX at work, and 10 years of frustration with Microsoft, I am ready to make the switch.

The debate of iBook vs. Powebook has been raging in my mind and I convinced myself to wait for the iBook to get updated namely for the better graphics - to support Core. However, the prospect of waiting another month didn't appeal to me and so I began considering the 12" Powerbook. I can't justify spending $400 more on a powerbook when the specs are so close, but then this deal came up:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0173861

Is this a good deal?

$1000 (after rebate) for the 12" powerbook that is equal to a current 12" ibook except with a bigger hard drive and the better video.

The model # M9183 might indicate a Revision C machine? If so - what were some of the common problems these models had that the Rev Ds fixed?

I'm assuming this is a new machine, though I'm not sure. Either way, how can I be sure that I will qualify for Apple's 1 year warranty and if I choose to later on, their 3 year extended plan?

If I buy this, will I get Tiger from Apple for free? What do I need to do to ensure that things get to Apple correctly? (serial numbers, etc.)

How does Apple's registration scheme work? How will they know when I purchased the machine? Do i register with them when I install the OS or does the reseller let them know?

Does anybody know if this model has SMS and/or the newer trackpad features (two-finger scrolling)?

How easy is installing RAM in these things? I've working with computers for 10+ years now and installed a lot of RAM in laptops, but never in an Apple. Just curious as I will be throwing in a lot of RAM.

Concerning RAM - it comes with 256MB. Is there actually 2 dimm sockets or is that 256MB built-on and I only have 1 upgrade dimm socket? I want to remove the 256MB chip, sell it, and buy 512MBx2 to get 1GB. (cheaper than getting a 1GB dimm module) Possible?

Anybody purchased from Micro Center Online? Thoughts on there customer service?

Lots of questions I know! But seeing as this is like my first real post on any Mac forum, I'm entitled to these newbie questions right? :D

Thanks a ton!

Kitrik

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, this should be a C -- D 12.1" models have 1.5GHz processors.. I don't know of common problems, but the features you mention, such as SMS and trackpad scroll, and BT 2.0, will not be present. You can use iScroll (as soon as it gets updated for Tiger), but this isn't the PB that has these features built-in.

No, at best, you will get it for $10 shipped (up to date). I'm not sure you'll even qualify for that, because this is an out-of-production model. Sweet talking Apple customer svc may or may not work. ;) I could be wrong about this, though, if it is new.

Since you have installed laptop ram before, it will be very easy. The ram is easily accessible, although I think you have to pull the Airport card out in this model (pretty much like a PCMCIA card, under the keyboard). The biggest problem people seem to have is not connecting the airport cable to the antenna back in a secure fashion. So if you have Airport troubles after, you know what to fix. ;)

Nope, sorry. 256MB is soldered in, and only one upgrade slot. :(

Good luck, Kitrik! Hope that helped.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just wanted to add...this is a very nice deal, I think, all in all, still. 1GB memory sticks have become very affordable...your $100 rebate will very nearly pay for one. It does seem to be a new machine, and MicroCenter is authorized, so perhaps you will qualify for up-to-date.

Were I you (I bought a new iBook 12" in Dec 03, and considered a PBook to some extent), I would probably go for this.

I was going to say that I'd be sore tempted by a superdrive, but the truth is that I would only use it for backups, and a FW hard drive is a much better investment, considering how many DVDs it would take just to make a backup of my Home directory! :D

BTW, definitely get Tiger. The fact that the User Interface is substantially faster on most Macs has been pretty widely replicated...it really is a nice experience, aside from the one app I have that is not compatible.

4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

In U.S. dollars at least, configuring the 12"ers as close as possible (using BTO) means a roughly 20% price difference, plus 20% more CPU MHz, 20% more system bus MHz, and 20% more HDD rpm speed. No, those numbers are in no way directly translatable to anything in particular, I'm just pointing it out. The 20% price difference also gives you twice the VRAM, a faster GPU, and a bunch of smaller features: HDD drop protection, built-in audio-in, true clamshell mode, BT2, BTO option for SuperDrive, and BTO option for 100GB HDD. So if you ignore all that, yes, they are "so close."

Yes the iBooks might be updated soon, and then this equation changes. But that's how it always is. And no one here actually knows exactly when an update is coming. The latest rumors don't make it imminent.

Also, as for installing RAM, if you can use a small screwdriver, you can do it.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Yes this is a good deal. Tiger thrown in just might clinch it, unless you want the newer, faster rev. D. You'd pay less and get more (except for battery life and possibly Tiger) than the current 12" iBook. It's not just the HDD and GPU, you get a faster processor/system bus, and a few of the aforementioned extras, too.

6. Kitrik thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure??? I keep seeing people implying that they are using 2 512MB chips... Anyway I could find out for sure?

It looks like if I can get the funds scraped together today, I will be purchasing this afternoon or tomorrow sometime!!! Yeah!!!

Kitrik

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No - the built-in chip is 256MB. In fact, it still is in the newest 12" PBs. Sorry!