Help Creating a UIImageView

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by xcodeNewbie, Jul 11, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I'm making a game in which the user controls a ship and has to shoot at other ships that fly by. When the user presses the button that says "shoot", the method "shoot" gets called, creating a UIImageView for the shot.
    Code:
    -(IBAction)shoot {
        UIImageView *shot = [[UIImageView alloc] initWithImage:[UIImage imageNamed:@"shot.jpg"]];
        [shot setBounds:CGRectMake(0, 0, 30, 30)];
    }
    I set the image to the top right corner of the screen for testing purposes. However, when I run the program and press "shoot", nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have not added the view as a subview of an existing visible view. So it is never drawn as it is not part of the on-screen view hierarchy.

3. macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Code:
    -(IBAction)shoot {
        UIImageView *shot = [[UIImageView alloc] initWithImage:[UIImage imageNamed:@"shot.jpg"]];
        [shot setBounds:CGRectMake(0, 0, 30, 30)];
        [window addSubview:shot]; // syntax may be wrong there.. but along the right lines
        [shot release] // dont forget - if you alloc, you are responsible for releasing.
    }

Also - if you haven't already seen it, start lurking on stack overflow.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Another UIImageView question

This is sort of an add on to a previous question...I create a UIImageView programmatically in the code below.
    Code:
    -(IBAction)shoot {
        [shot setBounds:CGRectMake(ship.center.x-15,ship.center.y-15,25,25)];
        [superView addSubview:shot];
        [shot release];    
    }  
    I'm trying to make it so the shot appears right above my ship, so it appears the ship is shooting. However, no matter how I change the CGRetMake, the shot will always appear in the upper left part of the screen. I even once set the starting coordinates to 99999999999 just to see what would happen. It still appeared in the top left corner of the screen.

5. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Read, and understand, the View Programming Guide. In particular pay attention to the difference between a views frame and it's bounds.