help - customizing my desktop

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

was wondering on how to make my mac "my own" if ya know what i mean. i wanna spruce it up a bit. make it look nicer...any suggestions? i changed around the icons and the wallpaper...added konfab and occasionally run x-bak when i really wanna make a peecee user go green..but it doesnt seem enough. anyone know what else i should do?

im running a 17" PB g4 with 1 gb of ram

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I would make my own desktop and use custo icons. Try candbar to change system icons... you cna find it on versiontracker

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

there's also a neat trick so that you can run a screensaver as your desktop, and still use your computer. you can do it in Terminal, or i know there is a program called Backlight that does it for you, available from versiontracker.com.

also, i tried looking around for x-bak, but i couldn't find anything. could you post some links or something? i'm curious about it now...:confused: :p

5. Xero macrumors 6502

xback is what your talking about, GUI interface for getting your screen effects to run as the desktop background. there are others that do the same thing, though all theyre really doing is, like you said, running some terminal commands with a GUI interface.

EDIT: double post = accident

EDIT 2: why start a new thread about this when i seem to remember it being the topic of numerous threads in the past? guess some people just cant get enough of the same topics...?:rolleyes:

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

should have guessed that by the name...:rolleyes:

i just remembered another Terminal trick- you can play videos ( only .mov files i think) in Terminal!!:D sounds crazy i know... it just displays the picture with a bunch of characters. it looks cool, but you have to mess around with the font size to get a good resolution out of Terminal.:p :D there is a small program that you use to make it work, i'll post it when i get home and have a chance to find it.:)

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually im running xback right now, and its pretty awsome i tell ya what.

thanks for ur help guys
    if you think of other cool gui programs

please listem!! :D