Help! Dead Built-In Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by SumDumGuy, Apr 6, 2003.

1. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

Looks like the built in Ethernet on my old Beige G3/300 has died. I was planning on making it into a MP3/music video server running 10.2.4.

Does anyone know which PCI ethernet cards are Jaguar compatible? I'm hoping to get the cheapest card I can find and resurrect this old workhorse!

Edit: Corrected spelling

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

there isnt much to a ethernet card, most any will work. just go pick up a cheap one, then let me know the ip or your server,lol. what software you gonna run to run the server?

iJon

3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I bought a NetGear ethernet card for $15 and it's the best. Not sure if it's compatible with Jaguar though.

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

D-Link

I just checked D-Link's website and they have 10/100 BT PCI ethernet cards that are supported under OS X. I'm sure you can get one for under $20. Hope this helps.

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Very true. I've had problems with other brands of NIC's, but never with a 3com card.

Just make sure that whatever card you DO get does say it's compatible with OS X. Never assume compatibility unless it lists the OS you are running (this is true for both the Mac OS and windblows).

7. SumDumGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Huzzah!

Thanks Pismo! I forgot all about D-Link! I checked their site and found a Jaguar compatible card for around 13 bucks PLUS it has a $5 rebate. I should have it by Wednesday and will install it ASAP.

Thanks for the quick help. I had already looked at Farallon, 3Com, Linksys, etc. and hadn't found any cards that actually stated Jaguar compatibility. But the D-Link site actually has 10.2 drivers so I should be good to go.

I plan on using the built in Apache file server to serve my files and stuff. This should be more than adequate...right? I'll just set my router to forward direct IP requests to that computer. It really doesn't matter to me if that machine is hacked or someone goes poking around in it...as long as they stay away from my Dual Gig MDD! That's the "real" computer!

8. awulf macrumors 6502

I have experienced problems with ethernet cards on Performa 6360's, where they wouldn't work. I found out that they had flat batteries and replacing them made their ethernet fully functional again. This may be the same problem with your beige. Also test the ethernet port with a different cable or port on the hub, if you haven't already done so.

For your MP3 server, you could use the QuickTime Streaming Server (a free download from Apple)

9. SumDumGuy thread starter macrumors regular

I got the new D-Link card today. Installed it, installed 10.2 drivers...and still can't get this thing back on the network. I've even tried connecting directly to my cable modem and not using the router, but it still won't work.

I thought it might me something funky with 10.2 so I booted into 9 and tried everything there (installing OS 9 drivers and all) but still zilch. I'm outta ideas.

Anyone care to take a stab at what could be going on? This machine was connected to the internet 24/7 before I retired it when I got my Dual Gig MDD. Now nuthin'!