HELP!!! Dead ibook

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cocopelli, Sep 11, 2002.

1. cocopelli macrumors member

Help I have no idea what is wrong but my girlfriends ibook wont wake up. It will spin up the harddrive when I hit space and the screen will come on very dim but within about 2 seconds it puts its self back into sleep mode. I tried shutting it down by pressing command power and then restarting but as soon as its done booting up it goes back into sleep mode. I had it set to sleep after 3 min but last night I was doing home work and had a really long PDF I was using so I set it to never sleep while I was working. I never set it back I just told it to sleep manually. Could this be the problem? How do I fix it? Plz Help

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

1. Is AppleCare still an option? They're always my first call when I'm stumped.

2. If not, get AppleCare for the machine - then give them a call.

3. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

no applecare

she did not purchase apple care but it is only about 2 weeks old so it should still be covered right?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: no applecare

if i'm not mistaken apple provides a limited warranty against defects in workmanship... so you could send it in to a repair shop, and if it's Apple's fault, they'll pay for it... but if not, you gotta cough up the change yourself.

On a technical note, I should think this is hardware related-- Sounds like the open/closed sensor is malfunctioning... it thinks it's closed all the time...

:)
    pnw

5. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Did you try zapping the PRAM? Start up holding down Cmd-option-p-r for 5 or 6 chimes. Not guaranteed to work, but it'll be the first thing support techs ask you.

6. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my old Powerbook G3, the Screen Was Dead. might be the case, might not be.

If it is only 2 weeks old, you should still be under Apple's 90 Day warranty.

7. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

Its Alive!!!

While I was so "patiently" waiting for an apple rep to answer the phone it mysteriously woke up?!? Very weird. So any ways I was on the support page and it mentioned zapping the PRam. What exactly does this do? Will I have to back anything up? I have never done it before and I dont want to lose any thing.