help deleting fonts

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lazyboy922, Feb 10, 2004.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

I installed about 1000 fonts from my pc to my mac. it seems like ever since i did that, my powerbook has a hard time booting up correctly and is acting strange. I'm not sure where the fonts were installed. I had placed them into a folder on my desktop, and I just deletetd that. But they are still showing up in my font book. Anyone know how I can fully delete them? I really hope they are what is causing the problem.
    Thanks

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

From 'Font in Mac OS X':

Actually, it is in the File Menu. So select the fonts, go to the File menu, and Remove Font. I haven't tried it myself but since it is offical documentation, it *should* work.

3. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

thanks alot! that worked, and i booted up my computer and it seems to be running smoother now. i just hope it stays that way!

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

After attending a seminar in Boston on Dec 1, I found out several interesting things about fonts in OSX. There are 4 different levels of how the machine looks for and uses fonts.
    1. at the user level= main hard drive/user/you/Library/fonts
    2. at the Library level=Hard Drive/Library/fonts
    3. at the system level= Hard Drive/System/Library/fonts
    4. and last but not least in the Classic system folder/fonts

Not necessarily in that order but all the font your system uses are in those 4 folders.
    The ONE thing to Remember though is NEVER to delete the "Lucida Grande.dfont" if you do your MAC will not boot!!!