Help Deleting Locked Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Panoctopi, May 12, 2005.

1. Panoctopi macrumors member

I have this game that doesn't have an uninstall mode, so to remove I trashed but when I attempt to empty the bin it tells me it can't be done because this or that file is locked.

I know how to unlock files (get info, etc.) but his there a way to it that doesn't involve going into all this folders and unlocking them one at a time?

In another forum someone suggested I use terminal type sudo rm and drop the files to be deleted afterwards but when i did that, terminal showed the following:

rm: /Users/brunosales/.Trash/To Be Deleted/: is a directory

then i was told to try man rm in the terminal and i got the following:

RM(1) BSD General Commands Manual RM(1)

NAME
    rm, unlink -- remove directory entries

SYNOPSIS
    rm [-dfiPRrvW] file ...
    unlink file

DESCRIPTION
    The rm utility attempts to remove the non-directory type files specified on the command line. If the permissions of the file do not permit writing, and the standard input device is a terminal, the user is prompted(on the standard error output)for confirmation.

The options are as follows:

-d Attempt to remove directories as well as other types of files.

-f Attempt to remove the files without prompting for confirmation, regardless of the file's permissions. If the file does not exist, do not display a diagnostic message or modify the
    :

finally someone told me that to remove a directory I should try rm -rf/directory which i followed by dragging the files to be deleted and got this:

rm: illegal option -- /
    usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
    unlink file

so, if anyone has a conclusive solution to this pain in the ass problem please pass it on and put an end to this frustration.

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

3. Panoctopi thread starter macrumors member