Help - Dell 30 inch wont show 2560x1440

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tan from London, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2005
    Hi All

I have just got a Mac mini (2011) mid range 2.7 GHz i7 with 8GB memory with AMD Radeon 256 card. When I connect my dell 30 inch 2007 monitor the text seems jagged and do not get full resolution. Apple said I needed a Minidisplayport to DVI adapter and I am using that but it does not work to get the full resolution.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    A 30" display, especially one from 2007, has a native resolution of 2560 x 1600 (like the 30" Apple Cinema Display), thus you need the Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, which costs more than the simple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

3. macrumors member

Nov 1, 2012
    I've read in multiple other forums on the web that the cheap mini-DisplayPort to [regular] DisplayPort cables also work for 2560 x 1600. I've ordered one for my Dell 27-inch U2713HM, but haven't received it yet.
  4. macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    Displayport can handle 2560 x 1600. DVI cannot, that's why the expensive Dual-Link DVI connector is needed, which is basically two DVI connectors in one package.

If the Dell monitor has Displayport, then Mini-Displayport to Displayport should work just fine, and probably works better than Dual-link DVI which is notoriously hard to get working (first the Mac needs to split the Displayport signal into two DVI signals, then the monitor needs to combine two DVI signals into one signal, that's two complicated processes that are hard to get right).
  5. macrumors 68030

May 29, 2007
    I have a Dell 3008WFP. It has a displayport connector, and I use a simple mDP->DP adapter for it on my 2012 Mini. But if the OP's monitor is an earlier model without Displayport then the notoriously flakey Apple Dual-link DVI adapter is required.