Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tan from London

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Hi All

I have just got a Mac mini (2011) mid range 2.7 GHz i7 with 8GB memory with AMD Radeon 256 card. When I connect my dell 30 inch 2007 monitor the text seems jagged and do not get full resolution. Apple said I needed a Minidisplayport to DVI adapter and I am using that but it does not work to get the full resolution.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Tan

Nov 28, 2010
located
A 30" display, especially one from 2007, has a native resolution of 2560 x 1600 (like the 30" Apple Cinema Display), thus you need the Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, which costs more than the simple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I've read in multiple other forums on the web that the cheap mini-DisplayPort to [regular] DisplayPort cables also work for 2560 x 1600. I've ordered one for my Dell 27-inch U2713HM, but haven't received it yet.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've read in multiple other forums on the web that the cheap mini-DisplayPort to [regular] DisplayPort cables also work for 2560 x 1600. I've ordered one for my Dell 27-inch U2713HM, but haven't received it yet.

Displayport can handle 2560 x 1600. DVI cannot, that's why the expensive Dual-Link DVI connector is needed, which is basically two DVI connectors in one package.

If the Dell monitor has Displayport, then Mini-Displayport to Displayport should work just fine, and probably works better than Dual-link DVI which is notoriously hard to get working (first the Mac needs to split the Displayport signal into two DVI signals, then the monitor needs to combine two DVI signals into one signal, that's two complicated processes that are hard to get right).

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I have a Dell 3008WFP. It has a displayport connector, and I use a simple mDP->DP adapter for it on my 2012 Mini. But if the OP's monitor is an earlier model without Displayport then the notoriously flakey Apple Dual-link DVI adapter is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.