Help! Desktop icon problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vince1234, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Vince1234 macrumors newbie

This is a bit strange, but does anybody know how to make the desktop icons stay in the same location without using the "keep arranged by.." view option ?

Somehow, whenever I restart my Mac, it keeps moving my hard drive icon around the desktop. (shouldn't it keep it in the same place ?)

2. Vince1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had snap to grid turned off, it should still remember where the icon is positioned. With snap to grid on, I still have the problem.

Basically, it always moves my harddrive icon around the desktop whenever I log out or restart, and doesn't remember the location where I set it.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like your .DS_Store file for the Desktop folder is corrupted. The easiest fix is to delete it, but that's easier said than done due to the fact that files whose name starts with a dot are hidden. Therefore, you'll need to use the Terminal. Open Terminal, type the following command (in the box marked "Code:", and press Return to execute it:
    Code:
    rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store
    Close the Terminal when done. You might need to log out and back in for the change to take effect.

4. Vince1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still doesn't work !! help !

Ok I removed the .ds_store file and rebooted, and it STILL is jumping my hard drive icon around the desktop.

Anybody have this problem or have other ideas ?

Vince