HELP! Desktop Publishing and iBook-am I mad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mr. Monsieur, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes...HELP...I have been round and round in circles for MONTHS trying to decide between the 15" PB and the 14" iBook. My closest 'Mac friend' insists that if I want to do professional applications that I need a PB. So, I ordered one and just cancelled the order after reading threads here suggesting that the iBook can more or less handle the same applications I'm looking at. Basically, I see myself using a desktop publishing application (Quark or InDesign), Photoshop, and Garage Band (and eventually some video editing and flash animation) (and probably NO gaming). I am quite strapped for cash, though I could shell out the extra $700 for the 1.25Ghz 15"PB I ordered if I was convinced that it was REALLY going to make a difference (one plus was going to be having a superdrive in the PB...but at this point I don't see that I'm going to need to have a DVD burner--at least not an internal one). My thought is to use the extra cash to max out the RAM and to buy the other necessary laptop goodies...Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated.
  2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The iBooks are really spec'd out nice. And you should do well with it since i am using the PB 12" 1ghz with InDesign. I have 512mb ram so far. The nie thing about the PB for me is the mini-dvi, so that I can connect another monitor and have official spanning.
  3. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2004
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    You're not mad at all. I do publishing on an 800-MHz iBook of the 12" variety. I would prefer the 15" PB, though. Not for any real performance reasons, but because it is a bit slicker. I use InDesign, Illustrator, and GoLive daily and have not run into any serious problems. I am certain PhotoShop would be OK as well. With the iBook, I would go for the 12" (unless you really want to burn DVDs) and do the monitor spanning hack, which makes the iBook that much better.

In summation, the iBook is quite the workhorse and will do what you want it to do. I have no problems at all.

Have fun... Tony.
  4. primalman macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    at the end of the hall
    just remember that once upon a time, deisgners, such as myself, did lots of day-to-day complicated tasks in all the major software packages on Macs like SE, IIci, Centris 650, PowerMac 5200. So, even though your friend is right to say that using the most powerful, and most expensive, will be more pleasurable, it does not preclude you from actually doing your work. USe your budget as your guide and you will be fine.
  5. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I'd go iBook right now. There just isn't enough difference between the two to justify the extra money if you don't need DVI, monitor resolution beyond 1024x768, or a Superdrive in a 12" form factor.

Plus, and I tell this to everyone who's buying a laptop for the first time, you'll need a bit of money for laptop stuff after you get your computer. You'll want to buy a mouse and probably an external keyboard if you are going to do a lot of typing. You'll need a bag to carry your laptop in. You'll probably want a Podium Pad or something similar to help keep it cool and angled a little. You'll need a wireless router (it's a good investment to protect the ethernet port that is wired directly to your mobo. If you kick the cord by accident when you are set up in the living room, you may render that port inoperable and have to buy a new mobo which is not cheap so think of a wireless router as insurance against that.)
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Remembering that Aldus Pagemaker debuted on a 512x384 monochrome display should say a lot about whether his task can be accomplished. :D

I think the newest iBooks will do quite well.
  7. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    I have been a graphics professional for many years and if I had to work on either of these I would be in heaven. I am now on a G3 768 mb RAM with OS 9 using all the Adobe products.PS7, Ill10, ID 2.0, etc. We are just now migrating to Panther but its a slow process seeing as how you can't retro save Indesign CS document s to 2.0 and RIP issue with our ctp...
    but I would say go with budget. After looking at the spec of both these I would say they would handle almost anything you could throw at either of them with a miniscule difference in the benchmark results.
  8. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004

Thanks for your responses! They made my decision much easier! :)