Help Diagnosing Slow Starting TiBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Col. Panic, Feb 17, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    For the last month or so my 667 MhZ PowerBook takes a verrrry long time (5 minutes or more) to start up. I am looking for suggestions on how to go about diagnosing the problem.

My system is a 667 MhZ PowerBook with 1 GB of RAM running OS X 10.3.8. I have a home network with a Comcast high speed cable modem and 2 AirPort Express base stations.

What happens after I start up is I see the grey apple logo screen, then the blue OS X start screen with the white dialolg box in the center that flashes network start up etc, then my desktop background appears with no menu or dock, just a spinning beach ball. I can move the cursor (spinning beach ball) but can not do anything else. This is where it hangs for about 5 minutes. After that everything seems to run like normal.

So far I have repaired permissions, run DiskWarrior and Mac Janitor, started up with airport turned off (I thought it might be taking a long time looking for my home network), started up in verbose mode (to see if I can figure out exactly where it is stalling), and upgraded all software via software update. I'd rather not have to do a clean install if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks in advance!