Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Okay, so this is what happened. I've had my iBook G4 for a while and never had any problems with it. Well, I recently decided to get an iPod mini. Of course since Apple cheaped out and didn't ship a charger with it, I plugged it into my iBook one night to charge it. The iBook was closed and asleep when I did this and then I went to bed. Well, in the morning, my iBook was really hot and when I opened it I realized that plugging in the iPod caused it to wake up, and it never went back to sleep! So it was on all night with the lid closed and wasn't asleep. Everything _seems_ to be okay, but I'm worried I messed up my LCD display and that it will die on me prematurely. I also could be delusional, but sometimes I swear I see the display flicker on and off for a moment. Do you think I messed it up?

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I've done this also, but only for something like 3 hours.

No damage occurred.

Just watch a DVD and see if you notice anything odd.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Where was the iBook? Was it resting on a blanket or anything you could have covered the vent holes?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Also check your energy saver setting - that you haven't set them to 'never' if your going to do this again. Maybe have the lid open next time.
I hope everything is ok.

Also try the hardware test CD that came with your iBook, I'm not sure what it tests but the readme file will tell you that.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
as was said before, watching a DVD might be a good idea.

NB: the iPod won't charge when your computer is sleeping... well except when your ibook wakes when you plug your ipod in.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
john1123 said:
...NB: the iPod won't charge when your computer is sleeping... well except when your ibook wakes when you plug your ipod in.

Mmm? I've charged my iPod on my asleep G5 before. When the machine is asleep, the iPod display simply says "Charging..." on it.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
As said run your hardware test cd. As far as the ports go even when the iBook is sleeping the ports still have power going to them and will charge an iPod or whatever is plugged into them. My iBook will wake when anything is unplugged or plugged into it if it is sleeping minus the power cord. My eMac is the same way so if it doesn't do that then I would wonder if something is wrong or not. :rolleyes:

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
john1123 said:
as was said before, watching a DVD might be a good idea.

NB: the iPod won't charge when your computer is sleeping... well except when your ibook wakes when you plug your ipod in.

if you have an ibook the ipod will charge when the ibook is asleep if it is connected to power, if the ibook is running on battery power it will not charge the ipod....

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. As far as I know, my iBook wasn't set to "never sleep", but since I'm not the only one who uses it, it may have been at the time. I'm glad I can charge it while the iBook is asleep, but I think I'm just going to get the power adapter to be on the safe side. I wish Apple wasn't so cheap. Whoever heard of an electronic device with an optional power adapter? :(

As far as the iBook goes, I watched a DVD and it seems to be all right. I guess they build these things pretty tough. Or maybe I just got lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.