HELP!!! Did I lose it all?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Surfchik53, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Surfchik53 macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2007
    I had some pictures and files in the waste basket and I emptyed the basket without thinking about it.. Is there anyway to get them back?!?!
    I cant lose these!!!! HELP!!!!! thanks!
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    First: STOP using your computer...your computer is always writing data to the disk, so the longer you let it run, the less you may be able to recover.

Second: You'll need data recovery software such as Data Rescue II. Apps likely that typically cost close to $100, but they usually have a trial mode that will allow you to see what's recoverable and maybe even recover a few files before you have to pay up.
  3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    The first thing I suggest is to stop using the computer you deleted the files on. Continuing to use the computer decreases the chances of you recovering the files. The second thing I suggest is that you look at buying a program like this to recover it for you.
  4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Its a long shot that you can get them back. But I have to ask the obvious, why were media files that you wanted to keep in the trash?

Good luck, I hope you get your files back.
  5. Surfchik53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2007

I wanted to copy them onto a CD and I copyed them and I thought I pasted them, so I just deleted them from the trash and found out it didnt paste them =/
  6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom