Help: Dowloaded music sounds lousy in Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by homer20001, Nov 6, 2005.

1. homer20001 macrumors newbie

I'm having real trouble when I bring music from itunes (downloaded) into Final Cut 4.5. It sounds choppy and stilted. When played in itunes however, it seems to be smooth. I'm also having trouble in general bringing ripped songs from itunes into Final Cut - I'm getting an error message that says something about 0 files and unrecognized files. I'm losing it on this one. Thank's for any help in advance.:confused:

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You need to convert the files to 48k AIFFs.

Lethal

3. homer20001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still trying

Thanks for your response. I converted the file to 48k by exporting from Final Cut via quick time conversion. I then imported it back into my browser but still had the same problem. Am I missing something. I'm sorry in advace if these questions are ignorant. I'm a little new to this end of things.
    Thanks
    Homer

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

DONT export them from FCP. convert them directly from iTunes. then import

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What obeygiant said.

FCP doesn't support (for lack of a better term) compressed audio formats like MP3 and AAC so importing then exporting an MP3 won't yield good results (as you've found out :)).

Lethal

6. homer20001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Almost there

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. Now prepare yourself for the dumbest question you've heard all day.....or maybe the entire week. How would I go about converting these MP3s in itunes. I'm not seeing an option that lets me do so. :rolleyes:
    Homer

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. In iTunes change your import settings to 16-bit, 48k AIFFs then close preferences
    2. select the song(s) you want to change
    3. control click (or right click) and select "convert selection to AIFF."

You can "convert to" whatever your import settings are. Which is kinda confusing that you "import" settings and "export" setting are both controlled by the "import settings" preferences.

Lethal