help ! dsl / airport connection

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by giovanni, Dec 5, 2002.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

Hi All,
    I need some help here. My Mac does not connect anymore to the net. I have no idea what exactly happened but last night when I got back home there was some server error with expolerer opened and my connectin to the internet gone. Restarted the computer, nothing.
    My setup: I have DSL (verizon). My powermac is connected directly to the airport, then I have an iBook that connects wirelessly. Both have Jag installed.

Now the connection at the modem level seems ok, based on the lights which tell you that there is a link. I suspect something is wrong with the Mac's network settings. I have to admit that when I got everything (Dual with snow airport) I had to call Apple care to help me set it up for the internet and I do remember it was actually pretty messy to do. I never had a problem til yesterday.
    I do have 20 month old son who loves to go and play with keyboard and mouse, in fact I usually turn the computer off when I leave in the morning but did not do so yesterday.

Wow is this getting long. Sorry ! Anyway I guess I need to know where can I go and get the settings needed to get this thing to work again ?

thx,
    gio

2. mkubal macrumors 6502a

try the setup assistant

Try setting up the base station again by using the airport setup assistant in the utilities folder. It should be fairly easy and it should walk you right through it. If that doesn't work you could try a hard reset on the base station.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Matt

3. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

hi - thx. Now that was one thing I did see in Mac help I could try doing. However here is the problem. The airport assistant can' find the station (it says no airport card detected) I though it was due to the fact that my powermac is connected directly to the airport. When I tried to do the same from the iBook I run into another type of problem and that is it would ask me for a password to access the base station and I have no idea what that is. However, I believe that my setup requires the base station to be activated from the powermac, at least so I remember from when I went through the installation with the Apple dudes. Also, how do I reset the base station ?

best,
    gio

4. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Reset both computers and airport. Also check for updates.

5. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

what do you mean by "resetting" ? I can turn off and back on the computer, then should I unplug the airport and replug to reset it ?

6. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Flightless Birds land at Airport...

Have you been able to find this document?

I was able to narrow your problem slightly by your description, but there are a few pieces of information that are critical to troubleshooting this problem.

Try the document link provided above, and see if you can see something that describes your situation and a fix.

It's a start, and describes a little of the good advice from other posters above in more detail as well.

:cool:

7. mkubal macrumors 6502a

hard reset

I haven't done a hard reset in a while and the last time I did it was with a first gen base station. From what I remember ther is a reset button in the back of the base station that requires a paper clip to push in. I think it resets the entire base station so you can start all over using the setup assistant, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

You do have to physically be connected to the airport to set it up I'm pretty sure. It really has been a while I've set one up. Sorry.

There is also something called a soft reset that doesn't completely wipe the base station.

I'm really not sure on the specifics of the reset. You would be best to search the Apple Knowledge Base for reseting the base staion. But you shoudl only do that irunning the setup assistant again doesn't work out the problem.

Sorry, about my not knowing the specifics. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help finding the article on the knowledge base.

Matt

8. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

ok thx to all
    I will try some of the things suggested here tonight at home.

best,
    gio

9. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

problem solved

ok, so back home first thing I tried was to turn off the dsl modem and then back on. Then I started the Mac and changed the setting to using DHCP and it worked. So I am happily connected again, but I really have no idea what happened.

best,
    gio

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

It was probably Verizon, or the modem. I've had some... interesting experiences with them.