HELP...DVD burning question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blindspot, Dec 7, 2006.

1. blindspot macrumors newbie

blindspot

Sorry for asking such a seemingly stupid question. I did use the search bar and tried some of the suggested results but i'm still having a bunch of trouble.

So i used mactheripper (awesome by the way) to rip a bunch of movies (i own) to an external hard drive. I now want to back them up on to blank DVD-R's. I want to be able to pop them in any DVD player and enjoy the burned DVD's while i'm on the road while the new ones are sitting nicely at home. Thanks for the help.

K

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Can you just use Toast to burn them? What have you tried so far that hasn't worked?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If Toast, make sure the format is DVD-ROM (UDF) (as Data disk).

4. blindspot thread starter macrumors newbie

blindspot

toast is 79.99 right? I could if i wanted to pay almost a hundred bucks for a burning program.

I've tried to use the finder, a program clled 'burn', and something else i found on here...i can't remember.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So burning from within the Finder didn't work? What kind of errors did you see?

6. blindspot thread starter macrumors newbie

blindspot

yeah i may be doing something wrong though. It's burning to the dvd but it's burning as files. when i stick it in the player it's not even showing up.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It actually sounds like Finder is behaving as it's designed to, just making exact data copies of the files on your HD. To burn the DVD so it is readable in a player will require a more specialized program, I think. Try versiontracker for some applicable programs.
    You might look at this program

8. blindspot thread starter macrumors newbie

blindspot

ok...I'm still a little frusterated...I figured burning a DVD on a mac would be easy.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It is easy, if you have the right files to start from. Did you generate VIDEO_TS files using MacTheRipper? That's generally the best way to use MTR. If you follow the link I made in the last post, you should be able to drop the VIDEO_TS file into the program and it will generate a DVD-burnable image, which ought to be playable in a standard DVD player.

10. blindspot thread starter macrumors newbie

blindspot

yeah i have video_ts files for every one of my movies. So just drop them into a burn folder or something?

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've not used the program before, I just found it with a quick search on versiontracker. In the documentation, it says you drop it 'on the program' probably by dragging it onto the Dock. It then converts the files. Give it a try.

12. blindspot thread starter macrumors newbie

blindspot

cool thanks...hopefully it works.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Haven't used it either, but sounds like it should work. The trick is DVD players want a UDF format disk, not ISO or Mac.

14. ZballZ macrumors regular

Is an image really nescesarry when you have the VIDEO_TS folder?? I always thought that simply burning this folder as data (with all its .vob content) to a DVD would make i readable in your DVD-player... i am pretty sure I have done i succesfully before (on pc)

I mean; when you author a dvd in any type of program - all it does is converting/creating the vob files for your, the menu and the correct folders. ...if you already have the correct folders and files, you dont need authoring - just burn the files!!

I think the problem could simply be, that your DVD-player doesnt like your discs - maybe try a different brand, or take your burned dvd to a friends house, and see if it works there...

15. bozigle macrumors regular

dvd imager
    it doesn't get simpler... drag and drop your video_ts
    http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

as previously mentioned, don't forget to tip off the ripper if you use it... you don't have to... but it doesn't hurt

you can also read latest threads before posting (there is powerful search tool too)
    bozigle

16. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Use Popcorn, also by Roxio. It doesn't have all the features of Toast, but is cheaper...

Popcorn 2 even rips to a 5G iPod/PSP

17. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

it is extremely easy.... with toast or any other burning program. no reason to get frustrated, just get toast